• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4wd Actuator

depending on what type of files are on the CD, most service manuals we have here at work are simply a collection of PDF files with a small program that catalogs them in an index. you could easily zip it up in a compressed file for emailing or uploading onto a private cloud storage giving a link to it for Big T

the relay is most likely hidden in the most inconvenient place! vehicle manufactures tend to sometimes stick them in odd places. on my rig, I know there is a relay for the power window somewhere ether inside the door or behind the kick panel because every so often I can hear it click. iirc Ford had a bad habit of that in their early years before putting them in a block under the hood.

depending on what type of files are on the CD, most service manuals we have here at work are simply a collection of PDF files with a small program that catalogs them in an index. you could easily zip it up in a compressed file for emailing or uploading onto a private cloud storage giving a link to it for Big T
NO! The CD-ROM does NOT have PDF files on it, it lets you ACCESS GM's files on their corporate mainframe for multiple vehicles besides the GMT C/K platform! This is used by a dealership's maintenance department instead of having hundreds of volumes of manuals taking up a storage room! I actually loaded the CD-Rom to my laptop, it only took up a few hundred Kb of space and a shortcut icon on my home screen to directly access. You MUST have internet connection to use the data base.

And, my 2002, 21 y.o. Gateway laptop is no longer functioning (it can't install its start up program). Since it went tits up a little over 11 years ago, I just use my smart phone for internet access, like typing this right now, @dbrannon79. Just easier to send the GM Factory CD-ROM and let him use it. It will play on any CD, DVD or Blu-ray drive on a laptop/computer. Thus, I don't currently have (or really need) printer capability, either.

I looked all over the engine compartment and don't see a relay as depicted. The only thing attached to the back firewall is a plug for the underhood light. Guess I would need to do some harness tracing from the actuator, but it's just too cold right now.
Look at the component diagram in the second set of photos I posted, with the title Transfer Case Relay. Its harness leads to the relay that is on the lip of the firewall/cowl behind and above the transmission dipstick.

Is it possible a prior owner/mechanic dislodged it and it's dangling down somewhere alongside the bellhousing/tranny above the starter, I wonder? The relay's sub harness breaks out of the front axle engagement motor and front axle rotation sensor harness, if you look at the location diagram, then comes up the side of the motor, runs down the valve cover it appears, then over and up the firewall with a loom clamp mounting bolt shared with that hose. Maybe a dislodged 'What the hell is this relay for?' relay and damaged wiring may be your 4LO gremlin, one could hope.

I think the Transfer case relay is only for OBD1 trucks. Its in the 95 wiring diagram. Buy not listed in the 99 wiring diagram. It also says for k3500 only next to it.
Hmmm. I'm using the 1998 Second Edition set of manuals published in 1999 by GM. Doesn't say anything about OBD1 in it or for K3500 only for the application, in fact all the DTC Codes it runs through in trouble shooting and what the codes mean are all OBD2 P0XXX codes. Perhaps a later Edition/update has that.

Yeah, you should get either the 4 Volumes or the CD-ROM, @Big T. The NVG 246 Section is 96 pages that covers the wiring, operation and diagnosis/fixing of DTCs for the NVG 246! TONS of illustrations, schematics, connector pin assignments, etc!
Sent you a DM for address and payment info.

I'm headed down to SoCal on 2/6, so I will probably run out of time to fix it while I'm up here this stay. Supposed to get some cold arctic this weekend and I ain't working in that. So next job will be the rebuild and installing of the NP 241-C in my son's Suburban.

Back