• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

borg warner 4401 T-case

Z79outlaw

Its tougher in Wisconsin
Reaction score
I need some info please guys, I believe this transfer case was only available in the K3500 series of trucks, and I beleive it may only of been available in the duall rear wheel trucks. Anyway if any of you still have your factory service manuals, (i dont) could you tell me the required oil specs for this transfer case. And the fluid capacity?

Dexron Trans fluid it says, I dont know how much, I only have the diesel supplement part with me...

Searched a bit on the internet for info on this anyone know the low range ratio on this case? Also i seen a diagram on this case and it appears to be gear-driven anyone confirm this?

rebuilt mine in the 93 and it held 4 quarts of dexron....mine has a chain to the front...as far as ratio goes in first and in low lock with 4.10's about 6 mph 3500 rpm....

I believe fluid capacity for the transfer case is along the lines of a differential, being you just add fluid until you can stick your pinky in the fill hole and feel fluid. That's the way i've always done it anyways.

You brought this one back from the dead. :thumbsup:

I think this might set a record. :hello:

Just got through rebuilding my NV4500 transmission and got everything back in the truck. But on the test drive when I got up some speed in 3rd and then 4th gear the borg warner 4401 transfer case starts jumping out of drive and is grinding until I push the clutch in. I can get it to go by shifting into high 4 wheel but as long as I try to drive in 2 wheel drive I just get a grinding noise. Any one else have this problem of a borg warner 4401 not staying in 2 wheel drive and have grinding noise until you lock it in high 4 wheel drive. It got me home but now afraid to move it until I find out what is going on. Any and all help is truly appreciated..

Yep, there is a solenoid or something bad inside, I found it better to purchase a rebuilt with a 3yr warranty.
Is there a way to test to see if there isn't voltage or a electrical problem causing this? And where is a good place to purchase a T case with a 3 year warranty. thanks for your input also..

I know nothing about the BW4401, but my NP241 was also grinding and jumping out of 2H into neutral. I have yet to tear the old one apart, but as far as I know both the 4401 and 241 have a chain drive inside, so best case scenario you have a spent chain and/ or worn gears and bearings.

From what little I just looked up online, it looks like the 4401 has an internal electronically actuated clutch coil that can also go bad. However from my understanding this clutch coil is used to engage 4wd, so given your symptoms I'd venture a guess that the coil itself isn't the issue. But depending on your own time and financial resources, it may be quicker and cheaper in the long run to purchase a rebuilt unit as Chris suggested and save yourself the headache of a t- case rebuild

I know nothing about the BW4401, but my NP241 was also grinding and jumping out of 2H into neutral. I have yet to tear the old one apart, but as far as I know both the 4401 and 241 have a chain drive inside, so best case scenario you have a spent chain and/ or worn gears and bearings.

From what little I just looked up online, it looks like the 4401 has an internal electronically actuated clutch coil that can also go bad. However from my understanding this clutch coil is used to engage 4wd, so given your symptoms I'd venture a guess that the coil itself isn't the issue. But depending on your own time and financial resources, it may be quicker and cheaper in the long run to purchase a rebuilt unit as Chris suggested and save yourself the headache of a t- case rebuild
I know there is some sort of clutch inside the 4401 and I have heard that goes bad sometimes. I am sure I can rebuild it but it is temping to just purchase one and drop it in. I was a heavy equipment mechanic for about 7 years so tearing into a T case doesn't scare me but I just got through going through the NV4500 and not looking forward to tearing the T case down. I am leaning towards just getting one and calling it a day, or week or how ever long it takes to get one.. Thanks for all your input on this. I just wanted a few other thoughts on this problem. My Old Girl is a 94 Chevy K3500 dually 4x4 with 6.5 TD and NV4500 trans. She had done so well all these years but I guess she is getting tired now. But again....Thanks to all you guys..

Common issue of chain drive units when the chain stretches- idk that particular case.

ANY chain that starts to skip - stop use immediately and a simple chain replacement does it- keep driving and the break planetary gears

Back