• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Here

Slwburn

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a 6.5L Chev 3500 with an NV4500, I love it but I’m currently fight with some transmission issues.

If there is a silver lining I am getting good at pulling the trans out to swap the slave out. I’ve had some terrible luck with LUK slaves…. lets see if the GM lasts a little longer.

Currently shopping for a clutch, as it’s mainly a tow pig I’m going to order a SB. Selection seems very limited and I’m not revisiting LUK. Other options are off shore or Exedy, has anyone tried an Exedy?

Otherwise the truck is great, I have the typical HVAC door issue to work on next.

Welcome, sounds like you have a 1996+ truck due to the internal slave? Put truck details in your signature, helps us see what you have and make informed suggestions.

I had my own adventure with all things clutch/master/ slave last fall. Getting good at pulling the trans is a good skill for sure

I also went with a south bend clutch, but I didn't splurge for the new flywheel too. If you're going all new components I'd recommend a new flywheel too, just so everything is in known condition. My LUK clutch had a broken spring and so far I've been pleased with the south bend

I don't know of Exedy, ever heard of Phoenix Friction? Never tried them either but they advertise their stage 3 clutch as handling more HP than the South Bend equivalent. Not that the average 6.5 ever comes close to 450 HP...

I can't find it now, but there is some company that makes an adjustable or heavy duty internal slave that would fit your rig. I'll see what I can dig up

Welcome, sounds like you have a 1996+ truck due to the internal slave? Put truck details in your signature, helps us see what you have and make informed suggestions.

I had my own adventure with all things clutch/master/ slave last fall. Getting good at pulling the trans is a good skill for sure

I also went with a south bend clutch, but I didn't splurge for the new flywheel too. If you're going all new components I'd recommend a new flywheel too, just so everything is in known condition. My LUK clutch had a broken spring and so far I've been pleased with the south bend

I don't know of Exedy, ever heard of Phoenix Friction? Never tried them either but they advertise their stage 3 clutch as handling more HP than the South Bend equivalent. Not that the average 6.5 ever comes close to 450 HP...

I can't find it now, but there is some company that makes an adjustable or heavy duty internal slave that would fit your rig. I'll see what I can dig up

Hey thanks for the reply.

Ya it's a '96 - I'll update it.

I've read about Phoenix, just skeptical due to mixed reviews and an unfamiliar (to me) brand. Exedy I'm familiar with the brand but not run them before. They're website also seems to suggest their clutches are for dual mass flywheels.

I think you're talking about RAM Clutches for the slave. I'll definitely go that way if this one fails but I'm really hoping it's not for a while now. 😁

Thanks for the reply!

Welcome aboard! Though I sold my '92 6.5 a few years back, this is the place where I got all the help I needed, the 6.5 TD gods live here! lol
I took the same route as you putting in some aftermarket slave cylinder, though mine was external IIRC, but it had a short life, went with OEM and put another 120k on the ole gal before I sold her, never had an issue after that.

Back