• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chaning the oil, 08 Honda Rincon

Unit453

Cruises comfortably at 140...
Administrator
Reaction score
I changed my oil yesterday. 110 miles on it so far. The oil was pretty much black. I only drained out around 3.5 quarts. I bought Amsoil fully synthetic to replace the fluid with so hopefully, it'll break in nicely.

Is it normal for these to burn a bit, especially during break in?

The book calls for 4.5 quarts but 4 and it was full to the brim...

It'll burn a little due to the higher revs. If it has a centrifical clutch it'll burn a little more, but it shouldn't be much, maybe a 1/2 quart per oil change.

Woaa i thought you werent supposed to put synthetic in the rincon??? Makes it slip or something

i think, with any motorcycle, atv, etc, you should NEVER USE ANY SYNTHETIC OR NON MFG APPROVED OIL. The clutch runs on the same oil, if you use a different oil than what specified to be used, the clutch will have problems and will eventually fail.

My $.02, you arent using this thing to ride 50,000 Mi a year, so just put normal Honda oil in there...

Oh, also, when you drain the oil out of the crankcase, you need to refill it, then kick it over a few times, or let it run for about 30 seconds, then check the oil again.

I just finished rebuilding my 600 last night, added 2qts, FULL!

Started it (but it has really low compression now....) and it sounded TERRIBLE!

Checked the oil... EMPTY!

I have always run full synthetic in all our Hondas.Hyrda-Tex 15w40 just like we run in our D-Max's and tractors.
I usurally only change oil every 1500-2000mi which translates to 2-3 times a year. I average 5000mi per year and have not had a motor fail yet. Highest mile Honda atv I have is between 30,000-35,000mi. I may have to add a qt or 2 between changes but the way they get used that's not a concern. I should probably change filters every 500-1000mi though.

As far as specific oil to the machine,I have an Arctic Cat as well and the AC oil was crap. Looked like water and cost me 2mpg :incazzato:.

Remember the filter takes a little oil so run it around a bit,then check it.

they say not to use oil that has friction modifiers (polydenum, teflon, ect) in quads/bikes that have wetclutches, but i always have and never a problem. i run my toys hard too. ymmv, but probably not. i've got a couple bikes and no problems.

Hey guys is there a screw that can raise and lower the idle on the same Honda Rincon. My Rincon has a very low idle and can barely stay running, but do remember it only has 3 miles on it.

Yeah, something like that. It wasnt long. I dont foresee any problems with running amsoil...

I would see anything wrong with amsoil myself I was just think of the warranty I know Polaris is werd like that lol

Nick, does your Rincon have compression braking? I'm about to pull the trigger and get a new 4-wheeler. I was thinking of a Rincon but the Honda man said it uses a torque converter and has no engine braking. I need engine braking as the mountains where we hunt are very steep.
I then thought about the Rancher 420 AT 4X4. It's also less expensive.

The only thing I have been able to find is that it has dual hydraulic 180.0mm disc for the front and single hydraulic disc for the rear.

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/

Nick, does your Rincon have compression braking? I'm about to pull the trigger and get a new 4-wheeler. I was thinking of a Rincon but the Honda man said it uses a torque converter and has no engine braking. I need engine braking as the mountains where we hunt are very steep.
I then thought about the Rancher 420 AT 4X4. It's also less expensive.

The engine definitely brakes it self...No doubt about it. I dont know the specifics but the second you take your thumb off the throttle, it slows down and downshifts.

I have not ridden one yet. I talked to the man on the phone and wanted to ask some one who has one. He said the rincon uses a TC instead of belts.
Thanks for the reply

Back