• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help a Brother Out #2

Finally got it... Holy crap what a pain in the ass... Jammed a flathead screw driver under the drive gear and pulled it against the body of the starter to keep it from being able to go in... And put all my weight on the solenoid to make it go in scared the s*** out of me when it finally went in I thought something broke... Now to see if I can get it back together tonight ... It's 7:00 pm here on the east side and about 20 degrees out..this should be fun

Finally got it... Holy crap what a pain in the ass... Jammed a flathead screw driver under the drive gear and pulled it against the body of the starter to keep it from being able to go in... And put all my weight on the solenoid to make it go in scared the s*** out of me when it finally went in I thought something broke... Now to see if I can get it back together tonight ... It's 7:00 pm here on the east side and about 20 degrees out..this should be fun
Bench test it with a set of jumper cables and a screw driver from the Positive cable post to the solenoid post. Be sure that You have plenty of grip to hold it down.
Also, double check the nuts against the bakelite cap, make sure that they are good and snug. Bit not too terrible tight, dont need a craked crap, ooops, I meant cap. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

the plastic cap on the end of the solenoid where all the wires connect is the baklit cap. it's made of heat resistant plastic that can crack if the nuts are tightened too tight, but you want to make sure all the wire connections are secure as not to have a bad connection.

something you might do as I found on my starter last time I had it out. check the two bolts holding the rear housing and make sure theyer snugly tight. mine came loose and cause the rear housing to rotate slightly. the part that has the stud that holds to the rear bracket. they don't need to be cranked down on thought. they are very long small bolts that run through the body holding it all together.

if the converter cover is not installed, it's much easire to get the starter up in there, but if it's in place don't remove it. it won't come out with the cross over pipe in place. mine is missing so the entire starter is visible for me. once it's in there, thread all the bolts in not to tight so you can get in there to get the rear bracket nut on and then tighten it all up. it;s a PIA but with it up in the air and the tire turned in one direction you can get inside under the fender to connect the battery cable and solenoid wire. leave the batts disconnected till that is all connected up.

Back