• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke Transmission Fail

Big T

Reaction score
Neighbor had his transmission fail while towing with his 2017 with just 40K miles on it. My son
Has the same year model F250 with 60K miles and he tows, but no issues yet. I’ve been watching how these vehicles hold up.

Have not really closely followed this platform.

Know only enough that if it has the CP4, it is no different than the DMax in terms of spinning the roulette chamber. There is a bulletproofing product available and it is ~$1K (if you can get it). Am guessing that cost is is worth it compared to the cost of replacing all the parts when a CP4 implodes.

Neighbor had his transmission fail while towing with his 2017 with just 40K miles on it. My son
Has the same year model F250 with 60K miles and he tows, but no issues yet. I’ve been watching how these vehicles hold up.
Scares me. My wife has a 2016 F250 with 50,000 plus miles.

I have been telling her to get the DPK/Disaster Prevention Kit. Installed. It does no good sitting inside the truck.

Did your son get the DPK kit?

I was actually hoping she would sell it. But she really likes the truck and won't part with it.

It needs the DPK, water trap/lift pump and the large fuel tank. We have the DPK. I contacted a few people about getting stuff done, but it's been a crazy couple of years and it hasn't made it to the top of the list. I need a list manager. To get things done.

Scares me. My wife has a 2016 F250 with 50,000 plus miles.

I have been telling her to get the DPK/Disaster Prevention Kit. Installed. It does no good sitting inside the truck.

Did your son get the DPK kit?

I was actually hoping she would sell it. But she really likes the truck and won't part with it.

It needs the DPK, water trap/lift pump and the large fuel tank. We have the DPK. I contacted a few people about getting stuff done, but it's been a crazy couple of years and it hasn't made it to the top of the list. I need a list manager. To get things done.
Bring it over. We’ll getter done.

Since before the 7.3, Ford's weak link has always been fragile transmissions since the AOD of the late 80's behind their bigger gassers. Anybody who increased the output on their 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7 diesels also had to beef up the auto transmission behind it or it would go bye-bye quickly thereafter. Even with a stock 6.7, heavy towing or stressful towing (mountain grades) puts Ford's transmission at risk of overheating and clutch failure. There was an article about increasing tranny cooler size/capacity on the 6.7's tranny to prevent just that in DieselPower a little over a year ago.

The AOD/4r100 defiantly had their issues, I've pulled ALOT of those out over the years. The 5r110 on the other hand that ford put behind the 6.0/6.4 was a great transmission. We hardly see issues with those at the shop. The 6r140 isn't too bad either, but had some overheating issues. Sunnax I believe offers a enlarged TCC limiting valve that helped with the overheating issues. And i thought there may have been issues with the thermal by-pass valve too.

Last edited:
Since before the 7.3, Ford's weak link has always been fragile transmissions since the AOD of the late 80's behind their bigger gassers. Anybody who increased the output on their 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7 diesels also had to beef up the auto transmission behind it or it would go bye-bye quickly thereafter. Even with a stock 6.7, heavy towing or stressful towing (mountain grades) puts Ford's transmission at risk of overheating and clutch failure. There was an article about increasing tranny cooler size/capacity on the 6.7's tranny to prevent just that in DieselPower a little over a year ago.

I traded messages with him on this and it failed in Bakersfield, CA after he towed a 15,000 lb trailer up over Cajon Pass. It was $200 for the truck tow and $1,200 for towing the trailer to his Fullerton home.

I traded messages with him on this and it failed in Bakersfield, CA after he towed a 15,000 lb trailer up over Cajon Pass. It was $200 for the truck tow and $1,200 for towing the trailer to his Fullerton home.
That would do it. Hell, even Union Pacific/Southern Pacific Railroad has/had issues hauling freight up/down Cajon Pass over the years.

I can't wrap my head around how this figures into the other grades they would have also gone over to get to Bakersfield from Cajon Pass. Like Tehachapi and other choices.

This post is about a Ford super duty transmission. I just cleaned it up to the topic at hand by removing the off topic posts.
@Big T and @Husker6.5
your pissing match that went in here is DONE. Nobody gives a rat's ass about rose bowl tickets, grizzly bears, your belief in Jesus, or who has the biggest **** when they are trying to look for information on their failing transmission.
You two want to bicker back and forth, take it to PMs or someone else's forum.

Stop or you might earn an unwanted vacation.

Back