• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!
Hopefully, I can post some decent images of my build SOON but in the mean time;
Dodge™ 47RH converted to a 47/48RE

The 47RH case is machined to accept early style 47RE valve body eight (8) terminal controller connector.

The E-TransControl™ TCM930 standalone NPTS controller is for the 46RE, 47RE & 48RE uses VSS “instead of TPS which has proved a PITA on P pumped Cummins.”

Servos are custom Billet as is the accumulator. The front Billet servo has six (6) seals while stock unit has three (3), it uses dual coil springs while stock unit uses one (1) has a no flip retainer. The rear Billet servo is one (1) piece performance extended piston eliminates need for spacer in performance builds all the moving parts that are prone to breakage on stock piston are eliminated too and uses one (1) spring instead of the factory dual spring setup has a no flip retainer.

The valve body is an early styled 47RE with all Sonnax™ modifications and upgrades. There are few differences between the 47RH and 47RE valve bodies however most every component inter-change. The Billet governor pressure manifold has a much larger and more reliable GM solenoid along with a newly developed HP diesel governor pressure transponder to complement the GM solenoid performance. However; to use the newer transducer a 2000+ valve body harness is used.

The intermediate shaft gets the Sonnax™ shaft pilot and cup upgrade both of which have smaller orifices than stock to increase fluid pressure to the shaft bushings for better lubrication.

All clutches in main case are ALTO RED EAGLE HP™ and Kolene™ premium steels clutch count is increased.
Two critical wear thrust bushings are TEFLON™ coated.

All planetary gear sets are steel 6 pinion type for substantial strength/capacity increase and smoother gear train rotation. The rear 48RE 6 pinion planetary needs mild machining as does the 48RE sun-shell to fit this application.
The 48RE 4x4 overdrive (OD) has ALTO RED EAGLE HP™ clutches & Kolene™ premium steels seven (7) clutch count for OD brake and ten (10) clutch count for overdrive clutch direct.

The Billet cover torque converter uses Billet splines Torrington bearings and is Low Stall (400 rpm less than stock) this is firstly too limit converter torque multiplication because excessive torque can and does snap all the stock shafts “stock is good to 850 ft. lbs. torque” and yes you can twist Billet shafts when run behind a high performance Cummins 6bt secondly transmission runs cooler and thirdly an increase in MPG if driven conservatively.

Well finally have most every parts I need for my trans build.
I have gone with all 6 pinion planetary gear-sets, modified the intermediate shaft for higher oil pressure using Sonnax pilot and cup.
Here are some images of the three 6 pinion planets front rear & OD so trans should be much smoother running.

IMG_0032.JPGIMG_0031.JPGIMG_0030.JPGIMG_0029.JPG

If I would ever get a Dodge with one of these transmissions, I guess I now know where to send it to get all of the uprated components done. :woot:
When I had seen the prices of high capacity 47/48 series big case transmissions it was "STICKER SHOCK & ALMOST A SEIZURE TOO" so I decided all that extra $$$$ the builders get would do better in my pocket, the only thing missing in my approach is that little sticker the builder sends with the trans you just paid $9k or better for.

Boldly going where no one has taken a Suburban before! Not so much about handling ridiculous gobs of HP and TQ from the motor in front of it as it is being over built to handle the daily rigors of tasks above and beyond original design with a huge margin of "me not worry" built in. In other words the body will have rotted away (hopefully not) before the transmission even thinks of giving up the ghost.

Another common problem because what is up front is the t-case being suspended w/o and support tends to snap the 4x4 o/d unit allowing the t-case to well just fall down and cause all kinds of damage in the process so I'm using two GM square body era transmission mounts one at the 4x4 o/d unit the another supporting the t-case.

I haven't decided if I will go with a slip yoke eliminator and/or a t-case disk brake assembly bolted to the rear yoke yet but will have to decide that soon..

@LowRam added a mount to the transfer case in the H1 conversion. They kept breaking driveline parts before that was added. I can’t remember the details now.

i just talked to him the other day - the original Cummins setup from firewall forward is going in another Hummer and they’re going to be building a new 2000hp Cummins for it 🤤🤤

@LowRam added a mount to the transfer case in the H1 conversion. They kept breaking driveline parts before that was added. I can’t remember the details now.

i just talked to him the other day - the original Cummins setup from firewall forward is going in another Hummer and they’re going to be building a new 2000hp Cummins for it
In my AO three Ram Cummins with the 48RE had the 4x4 O/D extension snap there has been for a few years now a mod using the GM Square body trans mount from x-member to the t-case.

I'll be using 1.25 ton yokes someone had suggested.

Back