• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turning up timing, dirty fuel, egt's.

When the timing is set engine hot:

Roll on 45 MPH and hold steady. Should have some diesel rattle. Add throttle. The Rattle should go away as the precups heat up. Advance lowers EGT and less drive pressure for the turbo. Too much advance will erode glow plugs. Too little advance will white smoke cold.

I too would like to get a diesel injector tester.
if You dont mind telling, How much was the tester ?
I checked their website but it must be an item that needs to be called in to order.
Thank You
Martin

In order to use it I had to cut one of connectors down a 1/4 inch. It fits, but is to long to tighten down. Took about 10 minutes with a hacksaw and grinding it flat.
I think it would still beat what an OTC machine would cost.
I`m retired mechanic from the Montana DOT, mainly on the heavy stuff and welding. I did not get to delve too much into the lighter vehicles, just enough to sort of get into a lot of trouble. LOL
The shop had the OTC machine, manual pump lever, like a hydraulic jack.
I have adjusted and tuned diesel injectors, one of the most fun jobs in the shop. Just love when they are all tested for leak down then adjusted and then make them chatter. LOL

The pump is in and seems good. It makes a haze behind me when I step on it. Egts stay down. I'm still only seeing 10 psi boost going up a steep hill with both fuel tanks full and my heavy drivetrain.

Well like I said in your other thread I think you have a less than top notch pump...

And your last comment adds more to my thinking.. the low boost and now the hard start when hot and egt's stay down,,,

Adjust the pump and see what changes, go both ways with it during testing till you find the sweet spot..

White smoke is generally not enough advance and it's not burning the fuel.

Well like I said in your other thread I think you have a less than top notch pump...

And your last comment adds more to my thinking.. the low boost and now the hard start when hot and egt's stay down,,,

Adjust the pump and see what changes, go both ways with it during testing till you find the sweet spot..

So you don't like the moose pump?

So far, it seems to be just oem spec, just getting better numbers by rating it for lower pressure injectors. It also is having the warm start issue. If, when the time comes, and I try to replace it, we'll see if they live up to expectations.
So, as of right now, no. If they can get the numbers they claim, at 2100 psi pop pressures, without hot start issues, I will be.

So far, it seems to be just oem spec, just getting better numbers by rating it for lower pressure injectors. It also is having the warm start issue. If, when the time comes, and I try to replace it, we'll see if they live up to expectations.
So, as of right now, no. If they can get the numbers they claim, at 2100 psi pop pressures, without hot start issues, I will be.

You think the hot start issue is the new pump not the timing?

I'm not sure. I timed it by the smoke I got on acceleration and boost. I think I have it right based on that. I am getting a turbo with a smaller turbine and I'll see, but it worked fine starting wise with the old pump and turbo.

I think 6.5 was running a moose for awhile maybe he'll pipe in, mine was starting fine till my mechanic stated screwing with the timing then hard hot starts.

So you don't like the moose pump?

I have not tested it, I was stating the fact that a new pump wasn't putting out the cc's claimed AND the fact the hard starts & other problems point to a not so good rebuild or parts used is all, nothing more...

I have had Unique Diesel build me a couple pumps, one rebuild with new head & rotor, another brand new unit, both came with specs... and they were nowhere near as cheap as other rebuilders that don't use new parts...

Back