• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Factory Batteries Finally Gave Up

BIGR

Lucky To Be Here
Reaction score
The AC Delco batteries that came in my 2006 truck, that I bought new in early December of 2005 finally got to the point where I replaced them today. Not bad for almost 11 years I guess, knew it would probably be this winter when they puked. I noticed the truck would not crank as easy and my radio clock started resetting today. At lunch time I was going to get some lunch and I ended up hooking the jump box to it to start it. Drove to my local parts store and put two new DeKalb Batteries in it. Coasted me 222.04 and they were nice enough to put them in for me (no charge) since I know them pretty good. I guess one battery could have still been good but why fool with having to replace it later. I want all the cranking power I can get this winter when its real cold. Guess I will see if those will last as long as the factory batteries did. Heck if that happens my truck will be 20 year old or older, if nothing happens to it and I keep it.

Right call made in always replacing batteries in sets.

So those batteries were probably sent to GM plant mid 2005. So yeah, 11 years. I wonder why more people dont go back to AC Delco batteries.

I don't because off roading and the angles I get at, I prefer gel cell and sealed. My yellow top optimas (yes mexico made) went in Jan of 2008 are still holding out.

You know Will, I was seriously considering going back to the AC Delco batteries and have had it on my mind to replace them before winter with AC Delco. I think I have had some great luck or very good batteries to last that long. I just didn't make it as long as I thought I wanted to. About the end of October I was going to replace them before my deer hunting starts. Not sure who sells AC Delco other than the dealer? I have been on a mission to get a ton of things done before deer season and I couldn't justify driving 30 miles to the dealer today. There again maybe another auto parts place had AC Delco. There is an advance auto parts and auto zone about 12 miles away.

Not sure how good the DeKalb Batteries are I just put one in my farm tractor and that one costed over 100 bucks. The ones I bought for my truck were 800 cold cranking amps I think. I guess time will tell.

AC Delco batteries are just a label from the lowest bidder anymore. Last I checked they could be made in China. I get short battery life in the heat, but, AC Delco is known to leak from the side posts (when equipped) on a regular basis over the past 16 years. What abuse from being 100% dead on the sales floor - the Sonoma trucks I got new back in the day with that problem were just off the delivery truck new.

@Will L. Are your Yellowtops mounted out of the engine compartment where they don't get cooked extra crispy in our heat?

They are under the hood, next to radiator. They are seperated a little from the engine, but I put a thermometer there once durring summer just to see- 160 after driving 50 mile trip.

A good friend that manages a fleet of 30 or so pickups and a dozen or so box trucks still runs optimas in all his. He said they had a bad run for the first 2 years or so when they first moved to making them in Mexico, but after that they have been good. Seems to add up to me. Could be- all the backlash they got, they stepped up on quality control.

I have not, but if quality of optima replacement and made in USA - probably who I will buy when my optimas die. Cant find anything bad on them in quick search. Quality is worth a little more money, employed Americans is worth more too.

I think I replaced the batteries in our 05, delivered August 05, 2 years ago. No way anything you get will match that quality, even AC Delcos. I already had to replace the OEM battery in our 2011 Suburban, and replaced the Interstate that was in my 2009 Yukon last Sunday, which means this is battery #3. I got a Interstate from Fleet Farm this time. The old battery was OK, but tested in the last 1/4 of its life, and if I'm still in it this winter I don't want any issues. Not for a $110 battery...

Back