• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

trailer brake controller

And as far as location, here's where I put mine. Didn't have to drill any holes at all, just used existing screw.

5109.jpg

5110.jpg

Tekonsha is still the top one available

Sent from my SCH-I535

Yes - X2

I've got the Tekonsha Prodigy - first generation of those listed above. I've always loved it.

The boost has come in handy for me in an emergency situation, the trailer alone function, too. The digital readout is perfect for my analytical mind that wants to see a numerical value, not a range with lights. It tells me when my battery cables are loose, tells me when there is a bad brake wire on the trailer, tells me when I've lost a connection somewhere, etc.

The readout on the P3 looks more interactive than mine. Probably still top notch.

X3 - Have the P2 in my tow rig and love it for all the reasons that ShowDrift mentions.

Am going to install one in the Burb this summer, so if you beat me to it, will look forward to a pictorial of how to run the wires :)

I mounted to right side of under dash. It seems to work fine and never had a problem but every once in a while I get the code its not at enough of a positive angle (usually going uphill in my back yard). I probably should put a little wedge shim under it to increase the angle but again its never had a problem on road.

The previous owner had one mounted in about the center of leg area. He had the brake wire already cut and I attached mine to his previous wire.

I ran wires through a hole with rubber grommet above my clutch pedal. I think the hole is a factory hole.

Attachments

• Brake1.jpg
    Brake1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 10
  • brake2.jpg
    brake2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 9
  • brake3.jpg
    brake3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 9
Make sure the LED color is red or ANYTHING BUT BLUE!!! Driving at night the blue will blind you and starting the truck will strobe blue "NC" without a trailer. Blue LED: there is not a dimmer and it literally lights up the entire cab with blue glare wrecking havoc on your night vision. Makes a great hat hanger and not so good of an idea to use it as such when towing - but I needed to see...

haraze4y.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535

I have the top of the line Tekonsha Prodigy P3. I thought I paid around 100 for mine on ebay, but cant find any stocking sellers with any in stock for less than about 130.

I didnt use any of the clip or pocket mount, but used the good ol fashioned metal bracket, as I feel this tucks it closer to the dash.

it is auto leveling, and I love the way it applies the brakes, very seamless, and in a panic stop, leaning into the brake pedal will jack up the voltage to the trailer, so that part I like. I have ridden in a few rigs with crappy controllers, and I dont like them at all, jerky, weak, too strong, etc. allways adjusting it. this is pretty well a set it and forget it.

it has a few custom colors to choose from for the backlighting, so you can adjust it however you like.

it has a plug in the back, so if you are cheap/ broke like me, you can buy a pigtail and bracket (costs about 15 bucks for the pair, IIRC it is a "second vehicle kit" under one PN from Tekonsha) and wire it into aonther vehicle, and switch the controller from one rig to another.

so basically, I love it and have no complaints, and I highly recommend it.

here is the only new one I could find for a good price on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/newest-teko...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cb224dca&vxp=mtr

I picked up a Prodigy p2 today. has all the same basic functions without all the fancy programming (lighting, different drivers , etc)

So where's the best/easiest place to access the brake light switch wires? About all I can do is touch the switch never mind seeing or doing anything with it.

Sent from my Studio 5.0s using Tapatalk

So after a little surfing it came down to some years have a spade in the mini power center by the parking brake (no live there) or dive into the loom that is going parallel to the dash just to the left of the column. Wasn't about to use a scotch lock on that wire, so I stripped a little bit of it wrapped the wire around it and soldered it. FWIW it's one of the small white wires that only works with the brakes an no turn signals or flashers.

Sent from my Studio 5.0s using Tapatalk

IMO this was the only place where the use of scotch-loks was actually OK, being inside, and up far enough it shouldnt get any slop off boots, so I gritted my teeth and used a scotch lok. most of my trucks have allready had a scotch lok to the tap thanks to the PO, only had to "ruin" or "scar for life" one trucks' wire. :)

IMO this was the only place where the use of scotch-loks was actually OK, being inside, and up far enough it shouldnt get any slop off boots, so I gritted my teeth and used a scotch lok. most of my trucks have allready had a scotch lok to the tap thanks to the PO, only had to "ruin" or "scar for life" one trucks' wire. :)

I've seen too many wires basically cut in 2 by them.

I still do not care for scotch liks. They usually break a wire or 2 on those already skinny little wires when used.

I like the brake controller where I can easily reach it, without bending over to the dash. On the 5 speed I put it on the shifter handle. Always within reach and easily accessible. If I want to hit the trailer brakes for whatever reason - and there have been times - it's right there where you can get to it with minimal interference to your driving.

Back