• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Portable oil tester

Hey Les I had not seen this til now. I really like the idea of the Lubricheck. Im in contact with the owner and if it works out may be able to sell them. Im going to get one of the units and check it out. If I like it I'll be buying them in bulk. I'll send you one for leting me use your timing gear.

Well I'll let you know when I get mine. They have a MAP policy, the lowest I can sell for is $39.99

Yeah I realize it wouldn't be as accurate as an oil sample but if it would allow me to extend my oil changes relatively safely....

We tested these (about 3 years ago, so some changes could have been made) and they will tell you about contaminants but it's pretty wide-spectrum data and that's about all they tested. They did not tell the viscosity or condition of the other additives and multiple tests of the same sample of oil gave different results. The value in oil analysis is not only to extend change intervals but to prevent catastrophic failures and to identify impending failures so that repairs can be made at lower costs and more conveniently. To do this, multiple samples need to be analyzed over time/mileage so that the trend is noted, for instance if you see an increase of bearing metal and then a spike of copper in a follow on sample you know a bearing is about to park your rig. Oil is blended from a base weight oil and additives live viscosity improvers, anti-foaming agents, dispersants and so on, Oil never loses it's ability to lubricate but it gets contaminated and the additives break down. You can have oil that isn't dirty enough to need changing but the viscosity improvers are shot and the oil is at it's base weight, dispersants are gone and contaminants are no longer kept in suspension so the filters can pick them up and so on. I managed two oil labs and I've never seen a device that do a good job of identifying coolant in the oil (we did a crackle test - drop a sample on a metal disc that's on a hot plate and see whether you got the sputter that coolant in oil gives you) though I've been away from the lab side of oil analysis for a couple of years and there could be something out there now (I'm with the Missouri folks - Show Me). Knowing what I do about oil and oil analysis I want to make my decisions with as much info as I can get and the $17 the lab that I use charges is well worth it

Got the LubriCheck over the weekend. Have not tried it yet, but plan to today. I think off hand this device would be good to use between regular analyis. That way you get a good idea of what the LED readings mean in reference to a regular oil sample.

DSCF1309.jpgDSCF1307.jpgDSCF1308.jpg

Tried it on 4 different vehicles today. All read like I would have expected.

The burb with newish oil read a "2" on the meter.
96CCLB read "7".
Titan was a "8"
Subaru was the worst, it was a flashing "10"!!. It make since too. The Subaru is the wifes car and I pay less attention to it. Last oil change was over a year ago. I got the oil change real fast after see'ing the "10" New full synthetic and filter.

My first impression is a good one. I think this tool will be very handy.
I thought of another use for it today, that being to use it when you are looking to buy a used vehicle. Test the oil with the owner standing there. If it tests on the high side use it as a negotiating point, if it tests good then atleast you have that info also.

I did not. Im going to monitor mine as I put miles on it and see what the LubriCheck does for awhile.

Checked the Subaru again this am. Yesterday with the old oil it was a 10 on the scale. Today with the new oil/filter its a 1

Back