• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ive got my Kojo tune.. Whats next?

Ratchetnator

Reaction score
I received my Kojo tune yesterday and installed it. The truck runs much "smoother" and the tranny works much more efficiently. But I am not very impressed at the power increase even tho it starts rolling coal at half throttle. It is slightly quicker but I must say the best thing about the tune is it rattles much less at idle and the tranny holds me back on downhills which is awesome. So whats next? the truck is still a gamble all to often in passing zones. I see a freshly rebuilt H1c on craigslist for a good price. Will this turbo work with the same mount kit used for the hx40II? Or would a different upgrade be better for my next step. The truck just seems like its not atomizing all this fuel it has now..

You need an A-TEAM TURBO.

I purchased an ATT. Then had KOJO tune the computer. The truck is incredible now! It will puff black smoke off idle and then it cleans up quick and pulls hard to redline(3500rpms).

Arent there cheaper alternatives to the att? I was looking at the hx40II with brutus's downpipe adaptor. Looks promising. I just need to get more umph out of this beast

I would just save up for it. The ATT just bolts right in and works great. Contact ATT and see if there is a customer truck in your area, you wont regret it. I am getting 16psi and the truck down right flies. Contact KOJO and ask him to compare my tune to yours. I just got my tune last week.

What injectors do you run with the att? Stock our high performance? Heath says the hp injectors make high egt for towing. I wonder if that would be the case with the att and hp injectors?

I am running 6501003 Nozzle, Injector Marine - Turbo Engines
6.5L High Flow/High Pop Injector Nozzle for Turbo Engines

These are from Peninsular Diesel.

I have not towed anything yet, I just got my truck back together. But, I have added the A.E.M. water injection system to my truck. My thinking is I will be able to adjust the flow of water to "put out the fire" and keep my egt's in control.

I received my Kojo tune yesterday and installed it. The truck runs much "smoother" and the tranny works much more efficiently. But I am not very impressed at the power increase even tho it starts rolling coal at half throttle. It is slightly quicker but I must say the best thing about the tune is it rattles much less at idle and the tranny holds me back on downhills which is awesome. So whats next? the truck is still a gamble all to often in passing zones. I see a freshly rebuilt H1c on craigslist for a good price. Will this turbo work with the same mount kit used for the hx40II? Or would a different upgrade be better for my next step. The truck just seems like its not atomizing all this fuel it has now..

What do you have for a lift pump?

You need an A-TEAM TURBO.

I purchased an ATT. Then had KOJO tune the computer. The truck is incredible now! It will puff black smoke off idle and then it cleans up quick and pulls hard to redline(3500rpms).

Was it a significant difference over the tune vs stock? Because the tune made such a small difference I dont know If I would spend another $700 to make it a smidgeon faster haha

What is your timing like? If it is off, you just won't make big power. If you are making black smoke, you are getting unburned fuel, which tells me you have other issues.

is your turbo still vacuum controlled? Maybe put a 'helper spring' on it and give it a run, to see if more turbo (more air) makes a difference.

Just trying to get a consensus... is there a benefit in high output injectors (of any kind) for towing if I can keep the EGTs down? I've heard the ATT makes cooler EGTs and I am also considering an intercooler. I need to replace injectors soon and thought about high output but I will be towing up tp 15K in horse trailer. On the other hand sometimes you spend the money but dont see much difference.

My 95 barely smokes on my highest tune. Just a quick puff and and it cleans up VERY quickly.

IMHO I think good stock injectors will serve most people fine. The only real advantage I think marine injectors can give is for those that need full fuel for racing and need that slight extra edge.

I just put a kojo tow tune(bought used) in my 98,the tune was done for an ATT but i still got the GM8 turbo on it(with turbo master)
Stock inj set to 2300 psi,stock LP,FTB.
This thing hums man,lots of get go,no smoke.
People are saying the GM8 has turbo lag,wonder were that is, cause my boost is instantly to the max when i stomp on it and it stays there till i ease of on the go pedal.

What is your timing like? If it is off, you just won't make big power. If you are making black smoke, you are getting unburned fuel, which tells me you have other issues.

is your turbo still vacuum controlled? Maybe put a 'helper spring' on it and give it a run, to see if more turbo (more air) makes a difference.

Hmm.. I am thinking you are on to something here. If I stomp this thing it starts smoking and never clears up to redline. It starts lightly smoking at half throttle even. There is also no way Im getting anywhere near 200hp to the ground. My boost is still controlled via the vaccuum system. I dont have a boost gauge yet but I can certainly hear the turbo pushing more air than before. I wonder if I do have something else going on

When I purchased my truck I had a problem with the wastegate controller. I did not know I had a problem untill I put a boost guage on it. Here is what it did; Off idle it would build boost. Then as fast as it built boost the boost would fall back to zero. I checked the vacuum pump, then checked the wastegate. All where good, I put a new waste gate controller and problem solved.

Hmm.. I am thinking you are on to something here. If I stomp this thing it starts smoking and never clears up to redline. It starts lightly smoking at half throttle even. There is also no way Im getting anywhere near 200hp to the ground. My boost is still controlled via the vaccuum system. I dont have a boost gauge yet but I can certainly hear the turbo pushing more air than before. I wonder if I do have something else going on

Without gauges you can't tell,..assuming is worthless.

When I purchased my truck I had a problem with the wastegate controller. I did not know I had a problem untill I put a boost guage on it. Here is what it did; Off idle it would build boost. Then as fast as it built boost the boost would fall back to zero. I checked the vacuum pump, then checked the wastegate. All where good, I put a new waste gate controller and problem solved.

Did the truck smoke badly without a tune? Mine barely puffed then cleaned up until I installed the new ecm. I know jorge6.5 your right. Im playing with fire literally. Ive just been going easy on it till I can get EGT and boost gauges.

I temporarily added an egt in mine when I first tuned it and put each time through its paces over a month then removed the gauges. My egts would hit 1300 in performance if I stayed in it but that was it, towing mode is could do the same but cruise around 900 with a reasonable load for a 1500 chassis (8k #s) and was able to out tow an 08 f250 5.4l loaded similar.

Back