• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best truck I've ever owned

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
I hope I'm not jinxing myself but I just had to say it. 257k+ miles on the ole girl ( 413601 ) for you metric guys. So far I've replaced the IP (it was replaced 3 times under warranty) 4lps, 2 glow controllers, glow plugs 2 times (once was insta heat garbage). rebuilt the front end once, replaced injectors at about 180k, steering box recently, rebuilt turbo 2x, everything else is original. I bought it at 60k for $15k and have had it for around 10yrs. The only thing that worries me is that everything might fall apart at once LOL.

:thumbsup:

You did jinx yourself though :D

My Impala is just a couple hundred away from 240,000 miles. Bought it with 60,000 on it as well about 7 years ago. I've been very pleased with the car, NEVER broke down on us. Took a couple trips to Minnesota and several "short" around Idaho/Montana/Utah/Nevada/California

I paid 1k for my truck and plow not running @ 171K miles 5 years ago. Put about 500 bucks into it and ran it for 2 years like that.

Ended up replacing the engine due to rotted glows @ 201K and some front end parts ~$4k.
Last summer i replaced the transmission @ 241K, was afraid it was gonna quit over the winter. That was $950.

So my truck looks awful, but is super reliable. Next fixes are going to be the rest of the body and shot posi replaced with a Detroit True-trac.

Just hit 245K yesturday.

Nice! I wish you continued success with the old girl. After all, you are a member of the best forum on the internet for taking care of and maintaining these fine trucks. ;) :thumbsup:

We need another good mileage thread to update everyone. :D

not to shabby Les, its right on par km wise with my wife's 95,she put on 105.000 km without a single issue but a head gasket last spring.
I think i better not bragg about my 89 6.2 with over 700.000 km on it least it blows up shortly.

:thumbsup:

You did jinx yourself though :D

My Impala is just a couple hundred away from 240,000 miles. Bought it with 60,000 on it as well about 7 years ago. I've been very pleased with the car, NEVER broke down on us. Took a couple trips to Minnesota and several "short" around Idaho/Montana/Utah/Nevada/California

a customer of ours has an old hertz rental, over 300K and still the wifes main car! IDK what year it is, but it is close. sister got a 00 bonneville, shooting for 300K, got over 240K on it now.

pretty happy with my 93 K2500(HD) over 250K on many of the factory pieces. the PO took good care of it. got it for 2050 bucks close a year ago february. needs injectors, but will hit the road again soon.

makes mine look like a young'n lol. Tore it apart along with the truck not because it was falling apart, so it could be upgraded completely. Hopeing with the overhaul to get 300,000 or more outta it :thumbsup:

Had an 89 suburban with over 330,000 known miles powered by a 454, previous owner used it for a ranch truck and said the speedo went out about 10 years before I bought it from him. on it's second trans and rear axle but that was all the big work it ever needed

Mine has around 370k kms, 233k miles. I replaced glows and injectors shortly after purchase.

There is no record of IP replacement and I have yet to replace the LP, even though I have a Walbro sitting here. I need to get off my rear. Bought it near 8 yrs ago.

149K on mine... I hope to have it on the road this week! it's been parked for the last 4 years cause they could not get it started... 4 new glow plugs, and an IP change (that it did not need) and it starts instantly cold... I also changed the injectors under the turbo for good measure though. I'll change the other 4 after new years.

My 94 has 296k on the odometer but it quit 3 yrs before we parked it. We have owned it since new and it is the only reason I bought my 95 k1500. Ol Blue has never had the engine opened up but has has 8 IP's (gm protocol), 3 turbos, and 1 vacuum pump, also 3 tranny, a couple clutches, and 2 twisted/cracked bell housings. It was our best/longest lasting truck we've had until recently.

Our 01 4x4 dually 8.1l has 272k on it and it doesn't have the tranny or tcase problems that got ol blue parked. The dually does have a problem with losing coolant and gummed up spark plugs, might peal back the top end this winter.

182K on my '99 Suburban. I need to go through the steering to tighten that up. After that, the next big project will be upgrading it to the later model HD spindles and brakes. I've got the brakes working well right now, but I tow and you can never have enough braking power. Doing the repairs myself is far cheaper than payments on a new truck and I can't get a diesel Suburban.

I was not the original owner, but I know that it had a new IP at 130,000 miles and new Heath Bosch Marine Injectors just before I bought it at 150K miles. It has just about all the engine mods you would want for a long life. I'm curious as to the life expectancy of these engines? I'd like to put in an Optimiser with forged crank while they're still making them. Then again, the current engine is running strong.

I'm a lucky man,, I got mine from 2nd owner, @ 128,000 Rust free miles. With all the needed mod's done! In Exc condition, in and out. Very well cared for, and every thing that works like a 2yr old rig. I'm hoping to have it for 10+yrs, and can tackle any issues.
Since I've had it, I've replaced: 1 Lp, Hydroboost, OPS, installed duramax fan and new fan clutch, FTB mod,,1 tail lamp circuit board, Got a new heatsink/PMD ext cable unit to fr bumper, Got my plow set up all installed, and did a spray on bed liner on the lower body panels. Hoping this will last me till my kids graduate! I sure know now how to care for and fix these 6.5's with the help of this great site, and 20+ yr's body work experience, and adding less then 8-10,000 miles a year,
It should be in the garage for a L O N G Time.

I was wrong, it's 385k kms now. Also I'm just replacing the original ball joints.
Mine has around 370k kms, 233k miles. I replaced glows and injectors shortly after purchase.

There is no record of IP replacement and I have yet to replace the LP, even though I have a Walbro sitting here. I need to get off my rear. Bought it near 8 yrs ago.

Bought new. Now at 209k. Going into its 7th salty Illinois winter. 3 GPs, 1 front hub, Batteries, tires. That's it except maint items (quite alot of that!). Couldn't be happier with it. Still looks almost like new too. Best part is it's all paid for.

Yeah, yeah... I know, it's not a 6.5...

Back