• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Propane conversion on a Nissan Titan

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
I'll be starting the conversion real soon. I'll get some pictures up later.
The main reason for this conversion is that Propane around here is $180/gal.
This will be my test vehicle and if I like it I'll start offering the kit for sale.
Kits are available for 4-6-8 cylinder gasoline engines.

:driving:

Got one on our 2013 K2500 6.0L with blackbear EFI Live tuning. $0.15/mile to drive it, makes me jealous. My 95 is around $0.21/mile at its current mpg

Is yours a factory installed? What kind of mileage do you get on the 6.0. I have a 2003 6.0 and the mileage is not good, like 10mpg.

Propane prices are all over the place and seasonal. I am curious as to what you are using for pricing? There is less energy in a gal of propane so cut MPG by 10%...
www.altfuelprices.com

CNG looks to be the fuel to go with now for savings. Prices for propane look to be nuts higher than gasoline, but, I may not have the proper sources - Bar-b-q refills etc..

Propane prices are all over the place and seasonal. I am curious as to what you are using for pricing? There is less energy in a gal of propane so cut MPG by 10%...
www.altfuelprices.com

CNG looks to be the fuel to go with now for savings. Prices for propane look to be nuts higher than gasoline, but, I may not have the proper sources - Bar-b-q refills etc..

For pricing I just call the bulk fuel station down the road. Propane is cheaper in the summer.

As far as CNG I looked into that very heavy. Its great if you have a place to fuel up when you need it. In Houston there are only three public CNG stations (30ish miles from here). So when I relaized that I looked at some of the home refueling units. They cost at a minimum $7000 for a cheap quality POS. A real quality home CNG comppresor is $12,500. When a unit that is affordable hits the market or you have CNG stations near then yes I agree CNG will be best. Once the home fueling is afordable I'll be switching to that.
The Company I buy from has kits for CNG also.

Another plus about Propane is, its everwhere. The infastructure is here allready and had been for years. We did 2 propane conversions way back in 1977 and never had a problem finding propane.
The conversion to propane vs CNG is alittle cheaper also. Mainly because of the tank prices.

Propane runs about $2.99 a gallon delivered in bulk here in central NY.

In Tx it cost more for home heating than for "on road propane" We have to keep track of milage and GVW then the state has a scaled tier of taxing. For me its $80 a year.
So look into your states policies/laws and see if you can get it cheaper for road fuel?
Here $180/gal on road.
$250 for home/RV use.

$250 for home/RV use.

I meant $2.50 for home/RV use.

Here are some pictures of the kit.

Does'int look like much in the box. here is the wire harness and new propane CPU.
titon lpg_012.JPG
Injectors, tubing and misc supplies.
titon lpg_013.JPG
Here are some really neat connectors (not included in kit). These will go on each injector. Allows the kit to be plug and play.
titon lpg_015.JPG

We get 11.5 on gas highway and 10.7 on propane. No noticeable power loss compared to the cng truck I tried. It is an aftermarket set up from a company in Chandler, Ok. On road is 1.69 home delivered here, we have the 2k gallon tank from when the farm house and tractors were on propane yrs ago.

Where are you all getting your pricing? I found another source below and can't verify your numbers for Texas. Same price as gas in TX at a truckstop. I am not calling you out, I just can't see where it would save me anything in AZ.
http://www.pilotflyingj.com/fuel-prices

We get 11.5 on gas highway and 10.7 on propane. No noticeable power loss compared to the cng truck I tried. It is an aftermarket set up from a company in Chandler, Ok. On road is 1.69 home delivered here, we have the 2k gallon tank from when the farm house and tractors were on propane yrs ago.
Thats what I expected to hear. The 6.0's get terrible mileage, but are very powerfull mills. Its tollerable when fuel is $1.69 though huh?
Where are you all getting your pricing? I found another source below and can't verify your numbers for Texas. Same price as gas in TX at a truckstop. I am not calling you out, I just can't see where it would save me anything in AZ.

I'll try to find something, but as for me Im just going off the price they gave when I called the station directly. You may want to call one local and remember to ask about road fuel vs BBQ tank propane.

I get mine off the fuel bill. IDK where else to get it but it is cheaper than the propane I have to heat my house. I can maybe take a pic of a bill and show the price if you would like.

Thats what I expected to hear. The 6.0's get terrible mileage, but are very powerfull mills. Its tollerable when fuel is $1.69 though huh?

Yeah, I've given up on gassers getting anywhere over 13mpg in a 3/4 ton. My dads 5.4L gets 11.2 BEST and my uncles Hemi gets 12.1 best (they dont check often but that was the best either figured). The 6.0 can cruise 65mph with my swather (12K of machinery and 8K of trailer) behind it, it screams but it doesnt really seem to mind the rpms.

Ours is a Crew Cab/Cab and Chassis 4x4 K2500 w/ 4.10s, I'm kinda considering getting one similar in the future after seeing how well it actually pulls.

@ WarWagon. I have not found a map with Autogas for the USA. I called again to confirm the price though and its still $1.71 plus a tax = $1.89/gal today.
Also, was that you that won the PowerBall lottery on Wensday?

Up date on the conversion kit: I got these little babies in today.
titonlpg_017.JPG
They hopefully will fit. They allow me to not have to drill and tap my intake manifold to install the LPG injectors. This adaptor go's where the gasoline injector is then the gas injector installs into the adaptor. The LPG will flow into the side nozzle.

@ WarWagon. I have not found a map with Autogas for the USA. I called again to confirm the price though and its still $1.71 plus a tax = $1.89/gal today.
Also, was that you that won the PowerBall lottery on Wensday?

Up date on the conversion kit: I got these little babies in today.
View attachment 36095
They hopefully will fit. They allow me to not have to drill and tap my intake manifold to install the LPG injectors. This adaptor go's where the gasoline injector is then the gas injector installs into the adaptor. The LPG will flow into the side nozzle.

So close I could taste it. Folks bought a couple of the $10.00 tickets so I was calling and waking them up. Most exciting lotto action yet without actually winning. Myself, I am still $20 ahead (cash I didn't have anyway) from Wednesday from not playing. :rolleyes5:

Alt fuel pricing looks to be fun to find and pin down. Thanks for explaining how to find it.

Wow gas droped to $2.86/gal today, with Kroger card its $2.76/gal.

On the propane: I got some more prep work done on it today. Found a spot to mount propane ECM and installed the Gas injector connectors on the new propane harness. Thes new connectors make the kit a plug & play deal. I'll get some pictures over the weekend.

Pictures of Nissan Titon intake manifold injectors

Well those little adaptors did not fit the hole correctly. The manifold has a recessed hole and the adaptor would hit. So, I had to pull the manifold to make a reliefe for them.

Shows intake pulled
titonpropane_041.JPG
I was shocked to see the starter in the engine valley! Some of the Northstar egines are like this to. Atleast the intake is easy to pull.
titonpropane_042.JPG
Shows one adaptor installed.
titonpropane_043.JPG
Used the diegrinder to cut the small relief. Worked awesome.
titonpropane_044.JPG
All 8 installed
titonpropane_045.JPG
Fuel rails installed. The adaptors raise the position of the gasser injector so I made some spacers so the bolts could hold the fuel rails down tight.
titonpropane_046.JPG

If yours is propane injection it will have something like mine or the intake drilled/tapped w/ nozzles for each cylinder. If its a fumigator type the mixer will be sandwinched in the air inlet from filter.

It has lines going to the original injectors from what we were told and we have 8 relay looking pieces with propane lines going to them. After that it's all under the plastic.

Back