• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2003 Chevy LT Quadrasteer 1500HD 6.0L 4x4 CCSB

LLY's get good mileage but dont have a 6speed behing them factory. My cousin has an 05 Crew Cab dually 4x4 with bale bed and gets 15-16 highway which is decent for the pig that it is.

Havent been to GMFS since I got rid of my gassers 3 years ago. Ill see if I can find them again.

I'm not finding the threads, maybe they were on the OtherPlace

LBZ is what I would do.

I would think plug and play also, THEFERMANATOR would be the guy to ask.

Don't swap a LML.. :D I can't get over 16 with mine.
I was thinking the same thing. I need to PM him.

I'd love to see an LML sans emissions equipment.
Not sure what that means??

I'm not finding the threads, maybe they were on the OtherPlace

No worries, I found alot of good reading. Seems as though the 6.0 wont get over 15 and 16 max from all the info I read and a couple tuners told me the same thing. Assuming I could get 14-15 I have to weigh if the costs is worth swaping over to a Dmax or even a 12valve Cummins. $3.99/gal for diesel vs $3.49 for regular. The tuners said I would have to run super unleaded to get the MPGs so whats that per gallon?
I could throw a 6.5 in it.

I get around 17 MPG back and forth to work with my LLY, which is mostly 45-50 MPH and a few stop and go intersections. On the highway it will do around 21-22 MPG at 70 MPH. These are summer driving numbers, if I drove it in the winter I'm sure the numbers would be lower. This is with a blocked EGR and the Diablo Sport Predator tune set for 85 HP. I think the older LB7 engines will do even slightly better for mileage than the LLY, but those have pretty well documented injector issues. The general trend on Dmax engines is that each newer version has tighter emisions limits and worse fuel mileage than the previous version. If I were swapping engines, I'd go with either the LLY as a first choice or the LBZ. I think the early LLY has the optimum balance of reliability and fuel mileage. I would not use an LML or newer due to the extra emisions equipment and lower mileage.

Leroy, i'm suprised you are not thinking about the isuzu. you have experience, would be just as many hurdles with DOT, there is more than enough power, engines are less $ and no computers. ??

I get around 17 MPG back and forth to work with my LLY, which is mostly 45-50 MPH and a few stop and go intersections. On the highway it will do around 21-22 MPG at 70 MPH. These are summer driving numbers, if I drove it in the winter I'm sure the numbers would be lower. This is with a blocked EGR and the Diablo Sport Predator tune set for 85 HP. I think the older LB7 engines will do even slightly better for mileage than the LLY, but those have pretty well documented injector issues. The general trend on Dmax engines is that each newer version has tighter emisions limits and worse fuel mileage than the previous version. If I were swapping engines, I'd go with either the LLY as a first choice or the LBZ. I think the early LLY has the optimum balance of reliability and fuel mileage. I would not use an LML or newer due to the extra emisions equipment and lower mileage.
What years were the LLY? I'll google it. but if you see this first LMK.
Leroy, i'm suprised you are not thinking about the isuzu. you have experience, would be just as many hurdles with DOT, there is more than enough power, engines are less $ and no computers. ??

The Isuzu 4bdt2 is an awesome engine, but it vibrates alot at idle. Its great any other time. I would really want a refined feel in the 03. I would consider a 6cly 6BDt Isuzu but they are very hard to find. A 6cly is going to be much smoother than a 4cly. I would lean towards a Dmax (another Isuzu:)) if I can find one cheap or even a 6.5 just because they are so smooth.

Better Rods, Better block, etc..

Choosing a LBZ over the LLY isn't really a question. The LBZ is superior.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/79873/rebuilding_the_66l_duramax_diesel.aspx

What years were the LLY? I'll google it. but if you see this first LMK.

The Isuzu 4bdt2 is an awesome engine, but it vibrates alot at idle. Its great any other time. I would really want a refined feel in the 03. I would consider a 6cly 6BDt Isuzu but they are very hard to find. A 6cly is going to be much smoother than a 4cly. I would lean towards a Dmax (another Isuzu:)) if I can find one cheap or even a 6.5 just because they are so smooth.

This is from the Forum Home Page:D 04.5-05 LLY,
06-07 LLY/LBZ

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/79873/rebuilding_the_66l_duramax_diesel.aspx
You saying LBZ has better rod,block correct?
What kind of MPGs are typical of them in 4x4 trucks?
I'll read the link next, thanks.
This is from the Forum Home Page:D 04.5-05 LLY,
06-07 LLY/LBZ
Thanks Leo, here I am asking the "newbee" questions :hihi:

You saying LBZ has better rod,block correct?
What kind of MPGs are typical of them in 4x4 trucks?
I'll read the link next, thanks.

Thanks Leo, here I am asking the "newbee" questions :hihi:

Yes correct.

I actually got 22.3 or so from my LBZ on a trip to Florida on vacation.

On average around 17 or so? Depending on how I drove. With a 500RWHP tune and a built trans it was hard to stay out of it.. :D

I heard the weak point of LBZ's were the pistons? LB7 pistons are built better for one reason or another. I'm no expert though, I dont plan on digging that deep into mine any time soon.

Yes correct.

I actually got 22.3 or so from my LBZ on a trip to Florida on vacation.

On average around 17 or so? Depending on how I drove. With a 500RWHP tune and a built trans it was hard to stay out of it.. :D

Thats alot of HP what do you think torque is?

Just read your link. It was good basic info for me. What I got from it was an 06 would be the most desirable engine for a swap in this case.
Im not after big HP/TQ #s (Not sure how much a Quadrasteer can take) but big MPG #s . For ease I would also like to use the 4L80E unless the PCM would require the Allison? also would depend on how/what the donor has.
Anybody have an 06 they want to sell for a dollar?
Depending on costs the whole idea may not even take place.

According to the link LBZ pistons are better.

They are NOT.

Manufacturing when from Mahle to a "Hong-Dong" company in the 06 year. But, it's a hit and miss.. just like the LLY cooling problems.

But for a tune only truck the pistons are pretty safe as long as you're sane.

For the tranny questions, you'll probably need a standalone controller for it function. Which is around $1000 last I heard... I would stick with the Allison.

According to the link LBZ pistons are better.

Sounds good to me! Glad I have the best of everything then! haha

Ive heard the quad steer uses a semi floating 9.5" 14 bolt. That might be your weak link as far as putting power to the ground, also you would have tie rods on the rear that would need braced (front end needs braced for boosted 4x4 launches)

Sounds good to me! Glad I have the best of everything then! haha

Ive heard the quad steer uses a semi floating 9.5" 14 bolt. That might be your weak link as far as putting power to the ground, also you would have tie rods on the rear that would need braced (front end needs braced for boosted 4x4 launches)
Im not racing at all. Stock tunes would suit me fine or anything to raise MPGs

They are NOT.

Manufacturing when from Mahle to a "Hong-Dong" company in the 06 year. But, it's a hit and miss.. just like the LLY cooling problems.

But for a tune only truck the pistons are pretty safe as long as you're sane.

For the tranny questions, you'll probably need a standalone controller for it function. Which is around $1000 last I heard... I would stick with the Allison.

I sell the optishift controller for the 4L80e so its a "no brainer" the way I see it now (could change) Depending on what the PCM has to see. I have heard the allison requires more HP/TQ which = less MPGs than a 4L80E. I like the 4L80e because they are cheap to work on
If I can get simular performance as I see now and 18-22MPG i'd be tickled.

If you plan on tuning the engine to the moon, those things might be important. For a stock or reasonable performance tune, I doubt those changes would have any significant impact on reliability. Like I said, the LBZ would be my second choice. The better mileage of the early LLY is more important to me. All else being equal, the lower compression ratio on the LBZ will lower the volumetric efficiency of the engine, and thus reduce fuel mileage. I suspect the compression ratio was lowered to reduce combustion temperatures and thus lower NOx emissions. Now if you had a LBZ and bumped the compression ratio back up to the LLY numbers, then you would really have something.

If you plan on tuning the engine to the moon, those things might be important. For a stock or reasonable performance tune, I doubt those changes would have any significant impact on reliability. Like I said, the LBZ would be my second choice. The better mileage of the early LLY is more important to me. All else being equal, the lower compression ratio on the LBZ will lower the volumetric efficiency of the engine, and thus reduce fuel mileage. I suspect the compression ratio was lowered to reduce combustion temperatures and thus lower NOx emissions. Now if you had a LBZ and bumped the compression ratio back up to the LLY numbers, then you would really have something.

Whats the 06 get for mileage (Tanner). Whats a set of injectors cost are they a common issue and how many miles before new ones are recomended?

Back