• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

More winter projects...

HighSierra86

Reaction score
Just thought I would share some of the work I have been doing on my 96'. I dont get a chance to work much on the truck during the year because it has to be on the road or in front of a trailer every day. So needless to say by the time winter rolls around I have a long list of parts and upgrades I want to do.

This year started with just some general maintnence and repair. Replaced the washer pump along with some cracked lines. The older placement of the reservoir on the inner fender made it a hell of alot easier to change the pump than on this truck! Next I replaced the front shocks with a set of monroe gas shocks (much needed improvement over the dead ones) and then repaired some exhaust hangers.

I also re-painted the rims and mounted four new General Grabber AT2 tires. The tread pattern is very similar to that of the BFG all terrains, but the price was alot lower (paid about $150 per tire mounted and balanced). Ive used these tires before and have been very happy with the performance. Tread wear isnt so great, but I really dont put alot of mileage on this truck anyways. Chances are they will dry-rot before I wear them out.

Next on the list was a set of running boards. The door bottoms on the truck have been rotting out for some time now, and if I ever get around to replacing them, I want to protect them from the same fate. The sand and salt here is just brutal. I purchased a set of DeeZee FX running boards from amazon.com for about $200 and they were at my house the next day. Installing them wasnt bad, just took some time to align everything correctly. Only had to drill two 1/4 holes in the lower rocker. I was very happy with the look and the quality of the boards. The final touch was a set of old GM mudflaps that have been sitting on the shelf looking for a good home.

IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg

More to come.....
-Nick

I have also ditched the aftermarket sony radio that the PO had installed, for a factory 98' radio that I took from the truck cab I bought last year. The factory radio controls are alot more user friendly, and there was no doubt a big increase in sound quality. I did notice that this radio had a small electric fan mounted on the rear of the unit? I have not seen this before, but all the other radios I have of this style are from 95's. I think maybe GM upgraded the radio systems in 97? Any input on this? Anyways, looks much cleaner than the aftermarket settup and I was very happy to say that even all the lights in this radio work!

Next on my list was to remove the work truck grille and install a GMC one that I had aquired last year. The paint actually turned out to be a close match, so for now it will work until I feel like sending the money to have it matched. The swap was relatively easy. Had to rewire in the gmc headlamps as well as different sockets for the parking lights. All the mounting holes are the same, and the end result is a front end that looks alot cleaner and classy. I will have to eventually buy some new lights as these ones are fogged over bad. Took the buffer wheel and some compound to them which helped alot, but they are still no where near clear.

PC230278.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0036.jpg

Still have a few more projects I would like to finish up before spring...I have a 60/40 seat with the flip down console to install, along with some custom fit covers. Other project will be to install an overhead console out of a burban, and after that Ill have to see how much time I have for anything else!

-Nick

Ok, so one more thing....I need some opinions here. The front bumper that is on the truck is rotting out and has holes starting in the left side. I had a gift certificate for LMC so im thinking of buying a new one. Question is do I go for the same bumper, or the one with the impact strips? I have all the rubber pieces, would just need the actual bumper. I just cant decide which I like better. Any opinions??

-Nick

The running boards & grille look awesome. Nice job!

You can purchase new replacement lenses for the headlights, turns & markers from Rock auto for cheap. They make a huge difference in not only the look but also the night vision.

Thanks for sharing & posting the pics :thumbsup:

The trucks I've had over the years that had running boards actually rotted out faster because the running boards held the salt on the body and made a place for it to cling to. With the higher 70s and 80s trucks I almost needed them to get in. On these trucks they do help the doors and jambs from being splattered with slop on the slushy days.
Some time when you are surfing the web check out a place called Treadwright. They make very high quality retread tires and are very reasonably priced. Myself and several friends have their tires and haven't had a single quality related problem. I can pm you a link if you are interested.
I prefer the bumpers with the impact strips. Just a personal preference thing. Rockauto sells the plastic lights cheap. Lookin good:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I also like the bumper with the impact strips. My pickup also has the two large rubber impact "knobs" (for lack of a better word). They mount just outboard of the air holes in the bumper.

Don

Looks nice!!! Thats a truck I would welcome to my fleet!!! Would need a plow of course!

Looks fantastic!

As mentioned, those running boards hold salt, so hose em down whenever you can after storms.

The trucks I've had over the years that had running boards actually rotted out faster because the running boards held the salt on the body and made a place for it to cling to. With the higher 70s and 80s trucks I almost needed them to get in. On these trucks they do help the doors and jambs from being splattered with slop on the slushy days.
Some time when you are surfing the web check out a place called Treadwright. They make very high quality retread tires and are very reasonably priced. Myself and several friends have their tires and haven't had a single quality related problem. I can pm you a link if you are interested.
I prefer the bumpers with the impact strips. Just a personal preference thing. Rockauto sells the plastic lights cheap. Lookin good:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the words guys! Thats an interesting thought about the boards. I suppose if the salt creeps behind the weatherstripping on the boards it could potentially cause an rust issue. But honestly, I think i would rather be welding in replacement rockers or sills in 20 years rather than trying to find rust free doors. Right now that task is proving to be a bastard. Ive got one set of perfect doors from a 92, but the inner door shell is different from the 95+. Its not just the bolt in pannels that are different. The boards also keep the sides and front kick panels of the utility body clean too. I always run mudflaps, but they did little to help in that area.

Ive been leaning towards the impact strips myself...thus why i have been gathering the parts for one. I just second guessed myself because I didnt think the current bumper looked bad with the new grille. As for the lights, i guess ill be ordering a set from rock auto soon :thumbsup:

And matt- this truck wont see a plow any time soon. For one, id much rather plow with an auto truck, and two I dont want to drive this one around in the winter more than I have to. I bought a $500 2001 jeep wrangler for that job. Much smaller plow rig than I am used to, but the price was right. I ended up building an entire plow frame from scratch, but thats another long story.....Oh and dont worry, this truck gets the hose treatment often. Its my baby :D

I have super rusted out internal doors, and its going to be an issue. It may be what ends up killing this truck. My PS window guts are all messed up, and the door doesn't open from the inside. I'm sure its just the Zbar fell off, but window falls off track, and I really dont' want to deal with it.

As long as the DS window works, I'm happy, but its not going to last forever. I spray the channels down with WD-40 almost daily to make it easy.

Bad doors may kill this GMT-400 platform.

I have super rusted out internal doors, and its going to be an issue. It may be what ends up killing this truck. My PS window guts are all messed up, and the door doesn't open from the inside. I'm sure its just the Zbar fell off, but window falls off track, and I really dont' want to deal with it.

As long as the DS window works, I'm happy, but its not going to last forever. I spray the channels down with WD-40 almost daily to make it easy.

Bad doors may kill this GMT-400 platform.

I might be selling a set of power doors from a 98. They have only a very small amount of rust on the bottom lip, but im trying to find a set of doors with ZERO rust. They might be good replacements for what you have now. If you are interested ill be sure to give you first dibs. Oh and they even come with pre-installed stainless steel west-coast mirrors :D

I might be selling a set of power doors from a 98. They have only a very small amount of rust on the bottom lip, but im trying to find a set of doors with ZERO rust. They might be good replacements for what you have now. If you are interested ill be sure to give you first dibs. Oh and they even come with pre-installed stainless steel west-coast mirrors :D

Thank you kindly!

so, is the wt grille still in good shape, and is it for sale?

good work on the truck, gloss white is my favorite color, especially for a work truck, as it looks clean and professional, and if the clearcoat goes, it looks the least bad, but with the pictures, I doubt you are the kind of guy that takes too kindly to paint imperfections, that is one sharp looking unit.

trucks with the stick are definitely worth keeping alive!

so, is the wt grille still in good shape, and is it for sale?

good work on the truck, gloss white is my favorite color, especially for a work truck, as it looks clean and professional, and if the clearcoat goes, it looks the least bad, but with the pictures, I doubt you are the kind of guy that takes too kindly to paint imperfections, that is one sharp looking unit.

trucks with the stick are definitely worth keeping alive!

No the grille is not for sale. Im not sure why you would want to pay shipping to kansas for that anyways.......I have quite the GM grill collection going, which I plan on hanging on the wall in the new shop someday. Lights and all.

I have a soft spot for the w/t grilles, and if you were going to throw it away, I would give you a disposal source, but if you have plans for it, go for it! :cool:

Got a few more things accomplished last week in between a snowmobile trip to pittsburg NH. I bought an amsoil EaA111 air filter from wrecker (thanks again Ashton!) which arrived quickly I might add. Fits perfectly in the stock filter box with the dimensions being exactly the same as the factory AcDelco filter. I did notice a bit faster spool time, but still no whistle from the little gm5. Im just happy to have a high flow filter without sacrificing filtration.
DSC01079.jpg
DSC01080.jpg

Next on the list was to install the overhead console I picked up out of a suburban. I used a razor blade to cut two small holes in the headliner for the rear tabs to slide into and then drilled a small hole in the front section of the cab for the screw. The contour of the console didnt sit perfectly flush with the headliner at first, so I heated up the mounting tabs and reshaped them until they brought the console closer to the headliner. I plan on using the front filler plate for either more guages or a scanguage if the provided cord is long enough.
DSC01028.jpg
DSC01026.jpg
DSC01034.jpg

Two years ago I bought a LP relay kit from kennedy diesel and I am just now installing it :rolleyes5: I know the kit was pricey and I could have made one cheaper, but I really liked the all-in-one control box with the primer override switch and indicator light. Very clean look, which I like. The entire kit was put together very nice I will say. They provided a brass tee to be used on the factory OPS but I didnt end up using it. For some odd reason, the OPS on my truck is directly underneth the intake manifold, rather than on the backside near the bellhousing like everyother one I have seen. Maybe something to do with the manual transmission...But there was an oil plug where the OPS normally is, so I used that for the secondary pressure switch that comes with the kit. The LP functions as normal, but I really enjoy the override switch for priming the fuel filter.
DSC01081.jpg

Just a few more random pictures to throw in the mix..the factory radio and the real reason there are holes in the front bumpers! Also a pic of the seat cover samples that were sent to me by GTcovers. I went with the darker color as they matched the seats very closely and the silver was just too bright for me. Plus the grease and oil will blend in better. I got the covers in the mail the other day, so I hope to get some time tommorow for a test fit on the seats.

DSC01036.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg
DSC01037.jpg

-Nick

The 96+ 506 engines have the ops under the intake:WTF:
I guess your pic proves my thinking the holes in the bumper are steps into the engine compartment is wrong:???::D

I'm liking that treadwright site. Thanks for the info.

The 96+ 506 engines have the ops under the intake:WTF:
I guess your pic proves my thinking the holes in the bumper are steps into the engine compartment is wrong:???::D

Block is a 141, but on second thought, every 6.5 I personaly have owned has been pre-96. Maybe the earlier models had the OPS in that location. And yes the holes work just as well for steps..especially for a short guy like me :)

Last edited:
Block is a 141, but on second thought, every 6.5 I personaly have owned has been pre-96. Maybe the earlier models had the OPS in that location. And yes the holes work just as well for steps..especially for a short guy like me :)

My block is a 94 599. The port is not under the intake, but behind the driver side head like on a 6.2.

The 506 blocks have the ports in both locations so they will retro fit the older trucks. I don't recall seeing one in the valley of my 95 141. All 141s are not created equal:yikes:

Attachments

• IMG_0168_149.JPG
    IMG_0168_149.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back