• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DB2 information

You might want to check out kennedy's web site. He offers 2 mechanical pumps that put out more than oem. Beware of price shock.

I just bought a DB2 for another project I have in the works, look at the inlet to the DB-2, if anything is in need of a FTB it is the DB-2 IP, that little inlet orifice mite be good for 135 Hp, but no way are you going to get maximum fuel thru that inlet, it's smaller than the opening for the DS-4. The FTB for DS-2 isn't going to be as easy as it was on DS-4, but once I figure it out, I'll be posting the how to do it.

What is a FTB???

I am interested. :smile5:

FTB stands for the Feed the Beast mod. It involves increasing the size of certain fuel ports (namely on the fuel filter housing I think) that restrict fuel flow to the engine. I think what TD has in mind for the db2 is opening up the fuel inlet port on the nose (if you will) of the db2.

well,,, I had a long talk with penisular diesel about this today.The DB4 can be used on a 6.2 truck application however it's more of a mid range IP and would require special pistons to handle the extra fuel asit would burn up the stock ones. He has a few DB2s that put out substantial fuel. His feeling was stronger pistons should be used even with adding a Turbo , but he acknowleged alo of people use a turbo on stock 6.2s. Basically anything over 230 HP he said you should really be "Building" the motor to handle it. So basically using a turbo rated db2 and a mild turbo setup is about all a 6.2 can handle without some seriuos work. Those guys seem to know thier shit.. I had an in depth talk about turbos as well. He actually liked my idea of using a Banks manifold with a holset and a F intake. They apparently(unless I misunderstood) custom make or modify manifolds for turbo setups. I didn't quite understand what he was saying but it sounded like the modify a stock manifold to accept a turbo but that doesn't make sense as stock manifolds are cast so maybe I misuderstood. BTW DB4's are readily availible and about the same price as a DB2 but not ideal for a truck and he said they are very very finicky. He would not recommnded it. They carry 5 different db2's that can put out alot of fuel but I didn't get specs from him. I should have.

Thing I don't get is Heath diesel was pushing like 330HP(IIRC) or something like that out of a full custom mdded 6.5 but yet Peninsular is building 400+HP 6.2s What am I missing ? Is it the cooling factor availible to marine engines vs truck? That is the only sense I can make of it.

FTB stands for the Feed the Beast mod. It involves increasing the size of certain fuel ports (namely on the fuel filter housing I think) that restrict fuel flow to the engine. I think what TD has in mind for the db2 is opening up the fuel inlet port on the nose (if you will) of the db2.

That is what I'm thinking and maybe more Kenny & I posted our FTB stuff here http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=572 Walking J is selling fittings for the 6.5s now.

Yeah I remember acually doing a sort of that years ago on my 83. I put a biiger fitting on but probably didn't do much as to restriction of the internals. I have a junk DB2 from Dave I'll be exploring...

I can tell you the DB2 833 4974 "Marine" pump uses the same (small) size fuel inlet as the 829 & 831 pumps. The 4 digit number on the end of the DB2 model numbers are the specs of the pump. This includes the advance, max rpm, etc., basically the characteristics of the pump. A Stanadyne dealer can look up the number and find the relevant specs of the pump. You are pretty much stuck with the plunger size, but a good pump rebuilder can change the other perimeters to match the pump to your engine. I ran a DB2 831 5088 , which is the 6.5 NA pump and I thought it did fine. I have never been really happy with my 4974 pump, I never thought it delivered what it should. I'm not saying it was bad, just not a huge difference to the standard 6.5 DB2. I just got my 4974 pump back from a certain well known pump rebuilder (in the Florida panhandle) that is a regular poster on another website and he made a few tweaks so it should be better. That and my genuine Bosch 311 Marine nozzles were toast after only 10,000 miles, so I have a set of injectors from him that are matched to my pump. I'm installing a GM-8 turbo as well. I'm hoping the new combination will be deliver a little more power.

As far as the Peninsular intake it is a new upper intake that bolts to the stock 6.5 turbo lower. So they didn't cast an entire manifold, just the top.

This maybe a dumb ? but on the db4 marine pump, that is supposed to have a finicky throttle, couldn't they use parts from a different pump to calm the throttle? Or is the dual rotor or head or whatever it has the problem?

totally different IP as far as I know. May have something to do with the way the advance works. Marine engines usually stay in one spot where as vehihle are constantly changing.

Back