• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to: 88-98 OBS Cab Clearance Lights Install w/ Pics

Thanks man. The mounts for the schackles are 1x2 solid stock mounted through a 3x6x1/4" box tube welded to the frame. It was part of the SAS. We added the crossmember in to strenthen the frame where the spring perches are, and the shackles because they are much better than tow hooks.

P1010523.jpg

P1010512.jpg

With the truck back together and the air-dam on it.
P1010699.jpg

P1010700.jpg

What's the deal with the tow shackels/D rings.....where did you get them....what are they anchored to?

Truck looks awsome, Great job with everything.

They are incredibly handy, particulalrly when I had to pull 07HDClassic's Silverado out of a hole.:thumbsup: There is a custom made front crossmember that Dave (88gmctruck) & his dad fabricated that ties the ends of the frame together and provides the anchors for the shackles.

EDIT: Damn I love it when he sneaks a reply in.

Last edited:
When I did my cab lights I found it was easier to just use stainless steel screws and drill a small pilot hole, it was cheaper than buying the inserts, and it was easier than having to get a tool to do the inserts. Just have to be careful not to overtighten the screws.

Yours are in essence factory, but I guess I'm just lazy.

I didn't use the GM inserts (even though i have them). Instead of just usuing screws, I'm actually using a similar nut that is rubber and doesn't require a tool. They are called a well expansion nut and just use the screw to basically make the sides expand below the hole. They don't require a tool, help seal the holes and you can't overtighten them and strip the cab out. :thumbsup:

I was going to get the well nuts, but they were $8 a pack :eek: I tapped the factory stainless screws into the sheet metal. Also I found out where to put my factory plug for my clearance lights into the block under the dash.

Very cool.......Don't see many like that!.........And they are way functional...."Like A Rock" (Insert Chevy jingle).....Oh wait, your GMC, "Professional Grade"

Yeah i'm forming a cult against owning Chevys, cause well, GMCs are better :p

Honestly with the crossmember, I'm regretting not integrating a reciever hitch into it while it was out.... Oh well I could always add one later....

Date on that was July 10, 1912.....Cool!

"GMC = Chevy with a Lock Washer"......That's the joke I heard.

I started a thread in the 6.5 Forum a while back.

Back