• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Check your balls!

rickdlance

Captain
Reaction score
No not those. My wife lost a trailer the other day in NM. :(

It was discovered that the nut vibrated loose and the ball came out of the hitch. Needless to say they are all getting drilled and pinned now.

Check your's today!

Last edited:
Holy cow Rick, that's scary. did the safety chains keep it attached ? I sure hope so!

Is she ok? I bet a littlle shaken but I hope she's alright, poor thing.

Wow!! I hope she's okay and the truck and trailer weren't too damaged! I just happened to give my 2" ball a kick recently and found that it was working loose, too. Not as serious for me as it is for you that haul heavy daily, but I was getting ready to hitch up my 1400# 6x6x12 box trailer and stuff it full of my junk to move out to the shop.

ive had the trailer ball lossen up a few times and now the converta-balls have holes for cotter pins and i use all of them

I was pretty shook up, but alright. Wasn't fun watching the trailer bounce from one side of the road to the other. Fortunately, it didn't hit anything other than the concrete barriers on each side of the road. That was what scared me the most, thinking it was going to hit and hurt someone.
Here's a pic of how it ended up.

It was only a 16' stock trailer. It was the second one of my set of doubles. The truck and first trailer weren't hurt at all, thank goodness.

Glad you are okay, Faye, and it's a blessing that the runaway trailer didn't tangle with anyone. Second? Towing tandem? So the ball came off the first trailer, not your truck receiver?

My boss just had our shop foreman put a bead of weld around the nut; nobody ever really changes the balls out anyways.

It came lose from the second trailer's receiver, but it was my hitch. I didn't notice it was lose:frown5: I will definately be checking them more regularly now.

WOW! That has got to be scary. Glad to hear you are OK.

I have always put red or green Loctite on my hitch balls just for that reason.

Wow Faye, I'm glad to hear you are okay and sorry about your lost trailer. I will be checking mine this afternoon. Both of mine have the cotter pin in them, but checking them none the less.

Wow we cant tow tandem in Canada with out Commercial Plates and a A Licence. Same as a transport truck.
And My Wife thought I was Crazy Buying Chains rated for 6000# on a 2000# trailer.

Back