• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ZF 6-speed General Information

jc64

( . Y . )
Reaction score
I'll start off things here in the ZF6 forum.
Feel free to add more.

jc
------------------------------------------------
ZF6 GENERAL INFO

Official Name:
ZF S6-650
ZF = Manufacturer - ZF Industries
S = Fully Synchronized in all 6 gears and reverse
6 = 6 Speed
650 = Model number

Specifications:
Weight: 4x4-233 lbs., 4x2-241 lbs. (weights with fluid)
Fluid capacity: 6-liters (synthetic)
Input torque: 520 ft. lbs. (GM and ZF numbers)

Gear Ratios:
Reverse - 5.23
1st - 5.79
2nd - 3.30
3rd - 2.10
4th - 1.31
5th - 1.00
6th - 0.72 (O.D.)

Good info! Thanks for kicking things off! :)

I can help also as I did the original testing and selling of Duramax ZF6 clutches from SBC.

I did that, not to make a lot of $, but to help other owners that had DMF problems like I did!

John

ZF S6-650 – Heavy Duty 6 speed manual transmission has an aluminum alloy main gear case and tail housing with the bell housing integral to the case.

The ZF S6-650 is built in both a 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive versions with a diesel design only.

ZF first introduced the S6-650 in 1998 on the Ford Super Duty and compatible stripped chassis’s.

The S6-650 has a an internal oil pump to circulate and cool the lubricant which is unique to a manual transmission.

All gears on the S6-650 are synchronized with a dual cone synchronizer in 2nd and 3rd gears with an input torque rating of 520 ft-lb.

GM started using the ZF S6-650 in 2001 with some improvements making this 6 speed transmission different from the Ford version.

Couldn't find a truck with the manual when I was looking. Kinda irritated me as I probably would have picked it.

Back