• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

XBOX360 Router

Reaction score
May be posting in wrong place, if so, sorry guys.
Wanting to hook my sons new XBOX360 up on the home wireless system, but I can't see paying 100 bucks for Micrsofts version of a wireless router for the XBOX360.
I'm thinking I could get another router and hook to the 360 and bridge the system to my wireless router in the other end of the house. Can pick up another DLink wireless router to hook into the 360 in my sons bedroom like the one I use for my home network which is based in my bedroom (cost of 30 bucks) and accomplish the same thing.
Anyone tech savy or otherwise that have tried and done this?

Well..You could always buy the wireless adapter for it. It will connect to your current wireless router (if it is wireless).

What you're trying to do isn't easy, nor for the faint-of-heart, technically speaking.

You need to buy a cheap wireless router, then reflash it to Linux using DD-WRT or something similar (there are a bunch of different code sets)

Then you can reprogram your router to be a network bridge or receiver, sharing the wireless signal out through the ports on the back.

Here's a fairly good description of the process...but personally, I'd just buy the XBox adapter, as Jeff suggested above... you should be able to get one (new) for less than $90 (a/b/g/n) or $60 (a/b/g), or a used one for 'way less than that.

Try ebay: there are pages of 'em...

Last edited:
Yea I have looked everywhere and the prices run from $56 on up. I can't see paying for the Microsoft Xbox version, specially not when I read of so many problems with the little mini router failing and having lockup issues. Think I will go the network bridge route, have done bridges before.........that or run a 50' cable and wire it in.
Thanks guys.

spend the 100 bucks....we bought the cheaper pelican wireless router for my little brothers 360.....and it sucks...it always drops you out of the game

In my experience, direct connect is the best way if at all possible. I know it isn't in a lot of cases. When I build my next house, I'll run Cat-5 through every room..

I was gonna fool around with the wireless route but didn't want any problems with that, so I just bought a 100' Cat-5 cable on eBay for less than $20 total(incl. shipping), and just ran it through the vent all the way downstairs.

get a third-party wireless adaptor. the TRENDnet one is pretty good, and just $50 at amazon.

41wmBBp3CbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless-Gaming-Adapter-TEW-647GA/dp/B0024G48VA

Tim

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
dayum Phil, Why did you have to look this thread back up.....now I had to order that so my grandson doesn't string the cat5 alll over the place....might use it on the Directv so I can use the internet function on it.....

It works great Tim. Should work on your DirectTV also, it sure works on my Dishnetwork.

dayum Phil, Why did you have to look this thread back up.....now I had to order that so my grandson doesn't string the cat5 alll over the place....might use it on the Directv so I can use the internet function on it.....

Back