• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

WIF Sensor wire broke!

03WIDEMAX

BFT
Reaction score
I changed my fuel filter this past weekend and the wire finally gave out. I could not get a new sensor on the weekend so I just plugged it back in figuring I would get a light teliing me there was water in the fuel. No light came on. Anyone no how that switch works? Does the float raise up when there is water in the fuel? If that's the case and the wire breaks you would never know you have WIF. Where is the best place to buy the WIF sensor? I found this one....on the other site. http://www.merchant-automotive.com/oemlb7fuelsystem.aspx

WIF sensors are notoriously ineffective. They should work as you describe, but often do not. I carry a spare in the truck.

Merchant is a source for them; I do not know if any of our supporting vendors carry them.

or just leave it. i have never seen one with water in the fuel that actually told us that. it came in for a no start or rough runner, never that light in the dash.

or just leave it. i have never seen one with water in the fuel that actually told us that. it came in for a no start or rough runner, never that light in the dash.

I think I've only heard of one maybe two that have EVER seen the light in the dash illuminate and I don't even think there was water in the filter. :eek6:

It's a poor design and probably takes a huge slug of water to make it come on and at that point you have major run-ability issues.

Best to just drain it off occasionally but it's such a pain in the arse to get to that I don't even bother. I just run a good additive and forgetaboutit.

I have left mine unplugged ever since I have had my truck because plugging that connector back in is the hardest part of changing the fuel filter.

I changed my fuel filter this past weekend and the wire finally gave out. I could not get a new sensor on the weekend so I just plugged it back in figuring I would get a light teliing me there was water in the fuel. No light came on. Anyone no how that switch works? Does the float raise up when there is water in the fuel? If that's the case and the wire breaks you would never know you have WIF.

The reason it never gives a code after being damaged or disconnected is because it's a normally open circuit, and it won't set any status until the circuit is closed. Once the leads are broken, or cut, it can never close the circuit, hence - no status set codes.

I think I've only heard of one maybe two that have EVER seen the light in the dash illuminate and I don't even think there was water in the filter. :eek6:

It's a poor design and probably takes a huge slug of water to make it come on and at that point you have major run-ability issues.

Best to just drain it off occasionally but it's such a pain in the arse to get to that I don't even bother. I just run a good additive and forgetaboutit.

This post made me LOL... thinking about you standing on a milk crate next to princess trying to reach the drain...

I got a load of water for some bad fuel & it never turned on. If your running additive, theres 2 types, I forget the technical names but one will seperate the water & it fills the bowl or the other one that breaks the water down & burns it, youll never see water in the bowl.

Back