• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Why do shops sound confused/annoyed when I ask if they ballance injectors?

mgray

Reaction score
I'm just planning on future maintenance with my injectors as I have no idea how old they are (and the engine sounds loud when cold, with puff of blue smoke at startup). I read here a bunch of people say to just rebuild the old ones (with Bosch nozzles) and get them balanced, cus even new ones aren't balanced. Anyways, I've been phoning around local shops trying to price it all out, and when I ask about balancing, everyone sounds confused. They say all I need to do is replace the nozzles, set the pressure and all is good. Am I missing something?

Is balancing just making sure they all open at the same pressure? What kind of pressure variation allowance in allowed between all 8 injectors?

If the opening pressures are all set the same, they should be balanced. Leo

It's funny you posted this, I called around the week before Christmas and asked about balancing injectors, all the shops acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. If I buy new ones should I get them balanced also??

go to the other place and pm dieselpro. He is an injector and IP rebuilder. He would know. I have tried to get him to come over but he doesn't even answer that part of my question. He always answers my technical questions however. Then post back here what he says.

shouldnt all 6.5 injectors be set the same unless you buy a set to open at a different pressure?

shouldnt all 6.5 injectors be set the same unless you buy a set to open at a different pressure?

Just like your valve springs the springs in the injectors ar made to a +/- range. Balancing the injectors only narrows the range so they all pop at a closer pressure making a smoother running better preforming engine. The only way I know of is to shim the lower pressure springs untill the pop at the same pressure as the highest one of the bunch. Even if you buy brand new injectors they will not all pop the same. Its like blueprinting a race engine nice but not really necessary unless your seeking maximum preformance and likely not notice it except on a dyno.

equal power from each cyl. equals less stress on crank and block. I'm for anything that will make them last longer.

Back