• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

why did you buy a 496?

trouttrooper

Big Blocks ROCK!!!
Reaction score
Just like it says :thumbsup:

For me, I've never been much of a diesel engine fan. I can't stand the smell of diesel fuel. I don't put a ton of miles on the rig, so the extra cost of the dmax wasn't justifiable to me. I had a '99 GMC 2500LD ECLB with the 6.0. Compared to my older '84 K20 with the legendary 350, the 6.0 danced circles around it. It still was pushed to the max when hauling hay in 100+ degree weather though, always had to keep a watchful eye on the temp gauges.....Then junior was going to join the family in 9 months and I realized that an extended cab was not big enough.

I remember growing up, dad had bought an '84 K30 CCLB SRW off the lot for a killer deal because it had a 350 under the hood. Nobody would buy it fearing it wouldn't be strong enough. Well, it was....and wasn't. That truck was a tank, never broke down, and that engine worked it's tail off hauling the family + camper + horses. However, every single mountain pass (and there were a lot of them) we were in first gear, foot to the floor, and 25 mph.

I decided that I needed a truck that I couldn't say to myself "I wished I had a bigger truck". Finances, a good trade in value on the '99, and 0% financing all helped out and allowed me to buy my first ever brand new off the lot vehicle. Only 2 compromises were made, no sliding rear window (not available anyway) and color (I really wanted a dark metallic blue).

I wouldn't call myself too much of a pessimist, but I think we are the last to own a factory installed big block in a pickup truck. My truck has to last me forever now.

I bought mine because I was looking for a diesel and couldnt find one (4+ years ago). Found this by mistake and had everything I wanted and was a great deal so I snatched it. Would do the same thing again if I had too. Ive test drove diesels newer and they just dont have the fun factor of this truck/motor. I have since really been understanding this mysterious combination of a truck. Its absolutely amazing what these motors are capable of. Theres no way I would go back to a small block in a truck EVER. Theres no replacement for displacement as the saying goes.

I originally had an 01 extended cab, 8.1/allison. I bought the truck because I couldn't pass up the price and we were starting to take wheeling trips to PA, I needed a truck to tow with. I never had any problems with it but I wanted a Duramax so when I found one for the same price I bought the 8.1 for and with 25k less miles I bought it. I used to get 8-10mpg, of course driving like I stole it. Stock to stock I would rather drive the big block. Tuned, the duramax all day long. With 35s at 80mph I get 20mpg hand calculated. If I could go back I would have paid the big block off, kept it and then bought a Duramax.

Back