• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Who's done the DIY Inj. cleaning I've read about?

Used is good. As long as they have been returned to the right code by returning the last truck to stock tune. You can only tune 1 truck. That truck has to go back to stock before the next one is possible. It would be important that it has the latest update from Diablo. I have the means here to update them and all it takes is a 12v power supply and a DB9-usb cable. Then it's a 1/2 hr at Diablo's site for the new download.

Just an update: truck runs quieter, and seems to have better throttle response. Still have the small surge though. I'll do this again sometime....it can't hurt!

on the older fixed time 855 cube cummins engines the overhead should be run every 50k miles. on engines that have gone much longer without having the overhead run cummins recomends cleaning the injectors 1st before running the overhead. we use a box of flush (little over a gallon) you rig up some hoses & put both suction & return in the box & let it run until it is all about gone, & poor remander in the tank(i never do this, it looks like tar!) cummins part # 3885737. it really works. whether it works for common rail injectors -?

I fill my new fuel filters with powerservice when I change them. Not exactly the same as the recommended flush but it helps my balance rates for the first ~5K then they start slowly going wonky. Gets me by, we dont have much bio around here for some reason and I typically run #1 in my dmax.

You normally run #1? We run #1 from November to March-ish, once the over-night lows get around freezing, then it's back to #2.

IIRC #2 has more lubricity, but I could be wrong...

Thanks Mike. Wasn't sure if I'd get into trouble posting a link :)

It's a really good read for the Duramax owners out there.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/83493-how-diy-injector-cleaning.html

I'm interested in opinion's before I do this. I hope to do it tonight.
I've come across this subject a number of times over the last year or so and I finally bit the bullet and did this last night.
It ran for 1 Hr 55 Mins 8 seconds on 1/2 gal Diesel #2 and 16oz of the cleaner (the whole bottle).
The balance rates looks slightly better, but not by much. Granted mine looked pretty good to begin with.

I ended up doing this, after an injector stopped firing after 11k miles. During that time, I had Stanadyne in my tank at practically every fill up. I might have overdosed it on occasion. Not sure why this injector went belly up (yet to be determined). I did still have a slightly rough idle. When I say 'rough', I'm being very picky (most folks probably wouldn't notice it). So I ran it last night, hooked the fuel lines back up and fired it up and all be damned, it definitely smoothed out the motor and sounds a little quieter. I thought it was just a mind trick, but a good buddy of mine met up with me today and was helping the day I swapped the injector. He mentioned that it seems to be running really smooth and quiet today.
This is just my experience and I do not condone it or take responsibility for anyone else's actions.

Back