• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Who Gelled This Winter

durallymax

Reaction score
Where Im at we sat well below 0 for a lot fo the winter with quite a few days under -40*.

However I never ran into gelling problems with any of the trucks except one of the semis but thats because of the tanks heater and the moisture they create.

I ran no additives. Just Winter blend fuel which was 25%#1/75%#2

I had LOTS of problems. I started using PS in a white bottle, made it worse. I went through 6 filters in 2 months! It would always start and then flat ass die about 10 minutes down the road. Only under 0*...consistantly though. Switched fuel stations and additives (stanadyne) no more issues but it never dropped below -5 after the switch. I hope they don't come back next year - I'll be really mad.

It don't get cold enough here to do that. I did have a few problems with a air leak into the filter housing when the temps dropped down into the low teens. Truck would start then stall right away and not start back till i reprimed the fuel system.:mad:

Not that cold here either. Glad I don't have to worry about that.

Yes, freezing up BLOWS. I sat on the side of the road, pulled the fenderliner, and changed filters a few times in -5* weather. I had some words with GM. I pulled samples, fuel looked fine...no hazing or separation. The dealership ran tests on it, came back "mediocre" or whatever the hell that means.

It was stopping up in the filter. I could change it, run fine for a day and plug up the next. NO FUN.

Damn this new fuel....

I am on the fence if I gelled once this year. It was either gelling or plugged filter due to B20 in the tank. Not thinking it was gel though since later the afternoon I went out when it got above 15* and it was still acting up. I think I plugged the filter with 136K miles of crappy fuel residue. I run B20 in all my tow trucks and none of them gelled so I think I just had a plugged one.

As to your problem with the 07.5, hope you get that problem figured out, but here is something I have heard helps, by-pass the return line cooler during the winter months or just the prime cold months. Keeps the return fuel nice and warm going into the tank and warms it up real quick. I was told that by a farmer buddy down the road that gelled his 01 the first month he owned it. Dealer made a by-pass for him to try out and he just installs it every December and hasnt had a problem since.

I think the coldest I every had the truck in was 4 below zero. No problem after sitting over night. Must be the Stanadyne Performance Formula Junior In every tank. :)

Truck never had any problems this winter. I know it got below 0 over night many times this winter, including one time while fighting a house fire.

Back