• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which Tractor To Buy?

BIGR

Lucky To Be Here
Reaction score
I think my dad is about ready to pull the trigger on a new or a good used 4 X 4 tractor. I see used ones in the paper with low hours all the time since people are in a money crunch. As far as I am concerned probably the 3 makes that come to my mind would be Kubota, John Deere and Massey Ferguson. I have heard good things about all three but as far as a number one tractor I have no clue. I know there are tons of Kubotas beening used in my area. Since the tractor would be used on steep terrain most of the time 4 X 4 is a must. I have had enough of 2 wheel drives getting stuck and not going in certain places. The old tractors (late 50 early 60 models) we mainly used over the years were Case tractors the biggest one being about 65 HP. We sold the smaller Case and still have the 650 but it would need a little work done to it since its been sitting a little while.
You ask what would it be used for? Mainly bush hogging, some cultivation and certain activities with a front end loader. Since we sold the big farm were not into beef cattle or the hay anymore. We have a small farm but its mostly wooded and too steep for any serious farming. I would prefer atleast a 55 HP and no bigger than 75 HP. Any input from you guys would be a big help.

John Deere is what I prefer (of course :D), I hate running Koboatas I just dont like how the controls feel. Ive only run older large MFs and I seemed to spend more time under the hood then in the feild but the were old and abused. I have always been happy with Deere dealers and parts department even though I have never needed anything but a radiater and about 5 headlight/hazard light switches as working for the county you always have your lights on. Ive you look at any particular Deere models let me know and Ill let you know and pro/cons that I have ran across.

I hate to say it.....but check out mahinda....I have heard real good things about them and they have a real appealing price point for a brand new tractor....I love deer and kubuta....but you will pay a lot more for the name and for the parts

IMO a great compact tractor is either a New Holland or Kubota. The super steer on the NH is awesome. John Deere compacts aren't like they used to be, I'm sure someone else will chime in but i don't believe they are made in the US anymore.

The same Deeres, under 40 horse IIRC have yanmar crap diesel's that need injecters every 100 hours or the melt pistons, the bigger ones still have Deere diesels. Look for a name plate on the motor and on the tractor for where it was built. Also has the vin. STAY AWAY FROM ANY DEERE WITH A YANMAR MOTOR or IMO anything with a yanmar motor. JUNK!

Something I would also throw out is what kind of service is available to you in your area so if you need parts you can get them to fix your machine. To me it does no good to have the best price or machine if you cant get parts to fix the dang thing

I have a B7800 Kubota, 4x4, with a bush hog, front loader, and backhoe. Although I like my tractor, the controls are not very smooth and kinda jerky. I had a guy come over to dig up my septic and drain line. He used a Deere excavator and man was he smooth! Now maybe it's because he does it for a living and I don't, but it sure seemed a lot nicer.

I like my Kubota B3030 Cab. I mow, till, bush hog, and scrape my driveway with mine. Could use something bigger but for 16k new I couldn't complain.

Look around and see what you see the most of in your area.

That's a good indication of what your neighbors think of the local dealers. I've only dealt with our local MF dealer a couple times for my uncle's tractor. Most of the tractors in my area are JD or Ford. Both of those dealers have good people w/o attitudes that know their equipment.

JD parts are expensive. Massey parts are imported from England.

Having a good dealer close by is a huge plus, check them out with your neighbors and friends.

Here's my take. Regardless of weather you think John Deere equipment is the best, JD will hold it's resale value more than any other brand and that's a fact. If you buy a new JD, keep it 20 years you can sell it for more than you paid for it, in most case's. JD also keeps parts in stock for every piece of equipment they ever made. This is a huge plus when you have a break down and need to get back into the field.

Kubota makes a good piece of equipment. The engines are quality piece's of equipment. I would stay away from Kubota tractors over 75 hp. I think they make great compact tractors. But parts are harder to get and cost more.

Just my 2 cents.

As far as I know John Deere dealers also stock or can get parts for ALL tractors. At least all of them Ive delt with did. They had a name for the parts but I dont recall it

Alot great info guys. Thanks for the responses. As far as my area, I see alot of Kubotas and John Deere Tractors, some Fords(New Holland?) and Massey's. Seems like everywhere you look there is a Kubota and most of them are 4 wheel drives. It is amazing where a 4 wheel drive tractor will go. A few weeks ago I watched a guy take a 4 wheel drive New Holland Tractor up the horse pasture across from the house in 17 inches of snow. I almost couldn't watch because I just knew that was going to be his time to go. I don't know what percent grade that pasture is but that fool took that tractor to the top of the hill, trying to round up the horses since they wouldn't come down and eat. The back wheels would spin and he was working the brakes to get traction. The guy is crazy and has lived a life with danger and I am really suprised he is still here. All I can say is he is one tough bastard that has no fear.

sounds like a 5000 series deere would be a good bet for you. Older models can be had pretty cheap for a Deere, at least around here.

Back