• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Where to get a NV4500 rebuilt?

vdb11

Halfmoon Detroit #2
Reaction score
Hey all!

I have not been active here or over at the other place for quite some time. Anyways a few months ago I *tried* to rebuild my NV4500 as some of you know. Well I got it put back in the truck and I was not happy with the results. It makes more bearing noise than before, and it growls at low load/rpm, cruising. I had no time so I have been driving it. I bought another truck which was taking up my free time and the past week, I finally got my other truck on the road and the trans back out of my 92. I rebuilt it with new bearings and seals, but I did not check the shaft play (both counter and main) as I do not have the right tools. While the trans was out before I put a centerforce dual friction clutch in as well as a bronze pilot bushing instead of a needle bearing.

The input shaft nose was somewhat tight going into the bushing when I put it back in. The growl sounded like a real bad gear growl and it has much more gear noise in neutral than it did before (I know the solid flywheel adds gear noise but this is excessive). The growl, gear noise and bearing noise all disappear when the clutch is disengaged (pedal depressed) assuming because there is no torque on the trans.

To be honest with all of you I always do my own work but I don't really want to mess with this trans anymore. I have a long road trip coming up this summer and I need it to be right. I know the input shaft will need replaced.

MY QUESTION: Do any of you know of a REPUTABLE place to look at/rebuild these trannys? I want a good place, not some franchise cheapo place used to slapping together car automatics but someone that knows these heavy duty transmissions and will do good work. I am willing to pay for good work. I would prefer the place to be as close to central PA as possible because I will be delivering the trans there to be worked on/looked at.

Please help! I would like to get this thing delivered somewhere next weekend so I can give them a couple weeks to figure it out before I need to put it back in! (early MAY).

Thank you!

Vance

did you have a rebuild manual? IMO, with all the right tools and a good manual, you can do it! Tanner got his manual from quad4x4.com and did his, and IIRC corrected one issue and his have been doing good. he will hopefully chime in.

No big issues really, just realized my clutch was worse than I thought so I am back down for that. No noise other than a light hum in some gears but not bad imo, cant hear it over exhaust honestly and disappears once I accelerate.

End a set of guages for end play are worth the money, I had 2 trannies to rebuild at the time and went through 2 more for a couple friends while I was at it. Paid off the parts and then some. None have noise issues, mine is the worst of them (so far) and it was my first. Quad 4x4's book is good but buy your parts from Blumenthals.

If you think you want to try again on setting endplay then you can borrow my book for the cost of shipping. I think all of the pages are still there, the binding sucked and when the barn door got left open my book got scattered.

Back