• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Whats the flow of oil? Where does the guage read oil pressure from?

mgray

Reaction score
Just wondering what the flow of oil is in these engines? Also where does the dash guage read the pressure from?

I ask because when I changed my oil, even tho I tried my best to fill the new filter with oil(hard to do on these 4x4's as its sideways), I still had a few seconds of no oil pressure. If I knew where the guage sensor was in the oil flow path I could have a better idea(and not be so worried) of what was getting oil and what was not.

thanks

The delay is due to drainage from the oil cooler - no worries, the various assemblies have the required protective film till oil pressure comes up, long as you don't immediately hit the go pedal, lookin' for 6000rpm each time you start the engine - oil guage is off the OPS at the top of the rear gallery in the block

The delay is due to drainage from the oil cooler - no worries, the various assemblies have the required protective film till oil pressure comes up, long as you don't immediately hit the go pedal, lookin' for 6000rpm each time you start the engine - oil guage is off the OPS at the top of the rear gallery in the block

x2...

Yep the 6.5 is what some call a top oiler. Oil pumps from the pan to the cooler. From cooler to filter. From filter to oil galleries that run more or less parallel either side of the cam. The path spiders from the galleries to each cam bearing and to main rear bearing (not sure but maybe front bearing too) and the turbo feed line also the oil pressure sender is ported to the gallery.

From the cam bearings it feeds down to main bearings. Also the lifters are some how fed in parallel with crank iirc. All these "parallel" paths have different sizes. Sized to allow proper flow to desired locations.

I have never seen what the GPM rate of an oil pump is but a avg filter is rated for about 11 gpm. If you guesitmate thats at 6000 rpm for a general engine then at idle you get under 1 gpm flow. A filter holds about .8 quarts so might take 12-15 seconds to fill it if it were empty. But in real world lots of oil stays in the cooler and clings to stuff so you usually get some air in the filter and oil and rest of system too such that it starts reading a little oil pressure within just seconds ~ 3-4 seconds if I fill my veritcal filters but I am like you I dislike that 3 seconds and always have. If you let it drip drip and drip from the oil pan for hours the cooler will drain a bit more and so will the engine. You can get a little more lag but the most I have ever seen was -6 seconds. I quit draining so long and would rather have the oil pressure a few seconds faster. I have been so anal when the truck was new to me to unplug my FSD and crank the engine over for 5 second bursts rest then start up with oil pressure. Now not so much just fill filters and watch gage with breath held for the pressure to rise.

Does it matter much ???? Like GMCTD says just stay at idle and it should be ok BUT if you count to 10 and no oil pressure that might be a problem and check to make sure you put the plug back in the oil pan:smile5:.

Yep the 6.5 is what some call a top oiler. Oil pumps from the pan to the cooler. From cooler to filter. From filter to oil galleries that run more or less parallel either side of the cam. The path spiders from the galleries to each cam bearing and to main rear bearing (not sure but maybe front bearing too) and the turbo feed line also the oil pressure sender is ported to the gallery.

From the cam bearings it feeds down to main bearings. Also the lifters are some how fed in parallel with crank iirc. All these "parallel" paths have different sizes. Sized to allow proper flow to desired locations.

I have never seen what the GPM rate of an oil pump is but a avg filter is rated for about 11 gpm. If you guesitmate thats at 6000 rpm for a general engine then at idle you get under 1 gpm flow. A filter holds about .8 quarts so might take 12-15 seconds to fill it if it were empty. But in real world lots of oil stays in the cooler and clings to stuff so you usually get some air in the filter and oil and rest of system too such that it starts reading a little oil pressure within just seconds ~ 3-4 seconds if I fill my veritcal filters but I am like you I dislike that 3 seconds and always have. If you let it drip drip and drip from the oil pan for hours the cooler will drain a bit more and so will the engine. You can get a little more lag but the most I have ever seen was -6 seconds. I quit draining so long and would rather have the oil pressure a few seconds faster. I have been so anal when the truck was new to me to unplug my FSD and crank the engine over for 5 second bursts rest then start up with oil pressure. Now not so much just fill filters and watch gage with breath held for the pressure to rise.

Does it matter much ???? Like GMCTD says just stay at idle and it should be ok BUT if you count to 10 and no oil pressure that might be a problem and check to make sure you put the plug back in the oil pan:smile5:.

Back