• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

whats the DPF look like inside?

dmaxx3500

Deputy
Reaction score
does it look like a cat converter?,,,i wondor if drilling a 1/2'' hole thru the middle would help,still would get some air pressure difrence and might lie enough to the sensors to stop regens or slow them down while keeping your warrenty

It is all or nothing - mess with the emissions and you will have to tune it and kiss your warranty goodbye. The pressure sensors will sense a hole in the DPF. The regens are triggered by the computer if the DPF needs it or not. A small 1/2" hole could allow the DPF to plug up and make your engine breathe through the 1/2" hole. It may not be able to clean itself with the hole in it.

The DPF is ceramic and is like the air filter you have. Sealed on both ends with air forced through the 'walls'.

When you want to kiss your warranty goodbye go for it. GM is very picky about voiding warranty on a modified Diesel. GM as you can understand is no longer paying for overpower failures from tuners. Messing with emissions is also a good excuse to void your warranty now. I have heard of a Trailblazer SS owner with cats removed get a warranty block by GM...

im looking to try just about anything,this trucks fuel milage sucks [9.5] when towing ,but it can get 17 when empty,,my 06' got 17 empty and 12-14 towing the same loads over the same roads

The DPF is like dumping 1 -2 gal of diesel on the ground each fill up. You are getting similar MPG that my 2008 got towing. Eliminating the DPF will get you 10% better mileage or more. W/O a tune - just turn off DPF and EGR.

The problem is GM *expletive deleted* factory tune that dumps so much EGR into the engine that it visibly smokes when towing and no DPF. Thus with a high load the DPF will not clean itself because there is too much soot loading it and no air to burn anything. This is to keep NOx down of course. I would always pull into town after a climb and be in regen.

You can block the EGR but it will code. So you are down to putting up with it or tuning it.

I wouldn't bother with a DPF back exhaust because the DPF is the real restriction. This may be your only choice to keep warranty.

Back