• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What to mod next???

towboattrash34

Reaction score
ok i need to plan my next mod to my truck...... the only thing i have so far is a bully dog triple gt... i can change that out np..... what do i need to do next???? or should i say what would i/the engine benefit from the most????? and what would be an avg cost?????

I agree.

Then you'll want more power, and on and on..

Run while you can.. :D

I wouldn't go with a Bully Dog personally. Its a "dirty" tune. All they do is add fuel and timing. Sure, its got plenty of power but there are many other good tunes out there that will fit your needs.

I would suggest a DPF delete exhaust system and maybe a set of gauges. You cant go wrong with either. The exhaust will wake the truck up and help it breathe much easier.

Changing over to Bilstein shocks always help ride quality. Many of us here are running those and very happy with them.

I wouldn't go with a Bully Dog personally. Its a "dirty" tune. All they do is add fuel and timing. Sure, its got plenty of power but there are many other good tunes out there that will fit your needs.

I would suggest a DPF delete exhaust system and maybe a set of gauges. You cant go wrong with either. The exhaust will wake the truck up and help it breathe much easier.

Changing over to Bilstein shocks always help ride quality. Many of us here are running those and very happy with them.
that is what my friend said about Banks..... except they only dump fuel and not timing....

not looking to drag race the truck just make it better.... as for the ride it is smoother than the 01 GMC
mytruck.jpg
i traded in on it so no complaints there...

Now the DPF delete exhaust system sound like what i'm after.... any suggestions on were i need to look for this?

Check out the Vendor Section at the Bottom of the Page, or Post in the Vendor Section to see who can give you the best Price on whatever you need / want.

Agreed. Our vendors are supporting us and they carry all kinds of gear.

You're gonna need some kind of tuning if you're looking for a DPF delete kit. I'm not sure who offers that other than PPE and EFI live. It is well worth it though. It'll run better, free up some power and give you much better mileage.

Quadzilla does also I believe. Check with vendors, they will lead you in the right direction.

Before you start talking mods, you need to identify what your end goal is for the truck, then you can start prioritizing the mods.

What do you do with the truck EVERYDAY?

What do you want to do with the truck OCCASSIONALLY?

What's the WORST you see yourself doing with the truck?

Is it gonna be your daily driver, tow pig, weekend warrior, dyno queen, track star?

As for the DPF delete, you're in TN so need big deal there. As long as it's not somewhere that does emissions testing. But, you will need tuning to keep the CEL from coming on and putting the truck into contant regen mode.

Here are always my first priorities before you start adding power.

1 - GAUGES! Gauges, gauges, gauges! No power mods without gauges.
2 - Intake
3 - Exhaust

After that you can start talking about some minor power tweaks before adding a few hard parts.

Personally, I'd dump that Bully Dog. They have great hardware, but their software is less than stellar. As for the tuning, not everybody needs EFI Live. Most of the plug and play modules are gonna be more than your tranny and stock turbo can handle anyways.

Bottom line though, YOU need to REALISTICALLY identify what your want from the truck. Otherwise, it's just throwing a bunch of parts at it that may not meet the end goal.

I agree with the above.

Bully Dog has good harware but bad tuning for the Dmaxes.

I would delete the DPF and EGR and add gauges and a transgo JR.

i dont know much about the LMM intakes but if they do need one then i would do that too.

When you delete the DPF and the EGR you will need a programmer at the same time.

PPE and quad are good.

However if you plan to do more to your truck EFi Live will allow you to grow in the future.

If your not planning on more power, trust me, none of us ever planned on it either, it just sort of happend

Last edited:
it will be driving it almost everyday/well 8 days a month when i'm off the tugboat.... towing a 6,000lb camper sometimes..... 5,000 mile trips sometimes..... playing most of the time.... we do not have emissions testing..... i don't mind leaving the cat in the exhaust.....so a cat back system is fine... and i don't mind changing programmers..... not looking to spend over 2,000.00 cause right now i'm spending 4,500 on my bike rebuild.

There arent cat back exhausts. Your truck has 3 filters on it. the Cat the Oxidation Catalyst and the DPF.

You can get filter back which has really no gain, or a full downpipe back.

I shot you a PM with a few things that might fit the bill for what you're wanting.

It's just a few ideas of what you can do with the amount you're looking at.

It's actually a substantial amount of parts that you can do for that price.......and a lot less.

thanks everyone.... i've look around quite alot..... i think got the info i need. heck the full exhaust system is cheaper than my dual exhaust that i put on my gas truck......lol and that was just a muffler with dual pipes out of it.... now i got to sell the Bully dog......

Back