• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What to Buy and What to do ???

n4haj

Reaction score
Hey guys. New to the forum and new to diesel trucks. I have recently purchased an '05 GMC duramax quad cab, short bed, 64k mikes. The previous owner had preformed several mods to the truck. One is the Banks monster exhaust behind the cat and second, the E-Z flow air intake. The truck gets 20-21 mpg at 65 mph which really surprised me. The real surprise was went I towed my low profile 4000lb boat and got 9.5 MPG at 65 mph on flat level ground. Also need to mention here, the coolant fluid resevoir emptied itself on this trip and on the return trip. Long story short, the truck had blown head gaskets. It was repaired under warranty however, the tech showed and told me the previous owner had a programmer of some kind on this truck and had abused it. My truck is now fixed and is running great with one execption, it still gets 9.5 mpg while towing my boat. I have a couple of friends with an '03 and 04 duramax(stock) that are getting 16-18 mpg while pulling an 8k lb camper. What gives here?? Any ideas?? The tech said a programmer might give better fuel preformance, but not to bring it back with warranty issues with the programmer installed. He suggested a hand held programmer.

My questions:

What are your suggestions of the MPG while towing??

What are your suggestions on a handheld programmer.

Thanks for reading this rather lengthly post and for your comments.

n4haj

Efi Live, diamond eye down pipe, 4 in front pipe & eliminate cat, egr block off plate. Lower egt's = more power and will also have better flow through turbo.

do an LBZ turbo mouthpiece ASAP. It will drastically help mileage and prevent popped headgaskets.

Back