• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What the # of the big articulated IH?

Michaeljp86

EVIL GENIUS
Reaction score
Theres a place not far from me and in the back is a huge articulated IH with the same grill as my 484. They must have been built in the late 70s to early 80s. They seem to be rare around here. I was wondering what the model # is. Id like to get it a restore it and get a rain cap on it before the coffee can rots away.

it could be a 4386 or 4586

heres a 4386 and a 4586

Attachments

• 4386.jpg
    4386.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 4586.jpg
    4586.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 14
Are you referring to those anteater/aardvark looking pieces of shit?

3388/3588/3788
3588.h12.jpg

6388/6588/6788

7088/7288/7488/7688
i7488-01_1_.jpg

IH5.ht1.jpg

They were referred to as a 2+2 and from everything I've heard they can die in a fire.

to spend money thats about it.

You dont sound like your a big fan of the 2+2. I always wanted a small one, like the 3388. They may be a POS, Ive only seen one in person in my life. I thought it was nice size for a small plowing tractor.

I've seen quite a few of them, almost ALL of them in various states of disrepair sitting in the back 40 of some old place. I've even seen them with one half over here and the other half over there.

You dont sound like your a big fan of the 2+2. I always wanted a small one, like the 3388. They may be a POS, Ive only seen one in person in my life. I thought it was nice size for a small plowing tractor.

no i dont like them very much!Now if i was looking for a rare tractor i would try to find a 1486 with the V8 to restore

Attachments

• 1486.jpg
    1486.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 18
no i dont like them very much!Now if i was looking for a rare tractor i would try to find a 1486 with the V8 to restore

I seen one not far from here sitting along a barn grown up in brush. I seen the 2 stacks on it and smiled. As soon as I get some money I was going to see if I could find that place again and stop over and talk to him.

Only problem is it looks like a place from a horror movie. Theres probably a bunch of IH guys chained up in the basement slowly being eaten alive. :eek:

the 2+2 tractors were never a huge success, as they were weird and unreliable. The only point i saw was for high horsepower clutivating needs, as that layout would give one better visibility, and i think the way it steered allowed less cultivator damage to the crop.

If anyone is serious about v-8 2wds, I know a guy who is a broker, and he runs upon one every so often, problem is he knows what they are and the value.

Back