• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

what size exhaust

just a number

Reaction score
I'm gonna need to rebuild the exhaust system in the next 6 mo or so. depends on what winter does:eek: I like the side pipes but the hurt the ground clearance. what I was thinking is to tuck it up on the outside of the frame rail and drop out at the front of the tank/rear cab. the big question is what size to go with. this is sticking to the true dual setup. can't be tooo loud but nice growl is fine.

EDIT: current size is 2 1/4 to 3"

This is a n/a engine so it will be alot louder than a turboed one. That's a tough call gotta weigh noise and flow

ya. right now it sound like a V8 gasser. one of the pipes is off.:eek: mind you you can't even hear anybody talking to ya in the cab.

I did single 3 inch on my van, headers with 2.5 inch dp and crossover, no turbo yet. Tried a Flowmaster, loud and brapped, drone central, then a Hooker Aerochamber, same as Flowmaster. Didn't try a Magnaflow. I ended up putting a stock Dmax muffler on, didn't notice any power loss and its nice and quiet with a slight noise. :thumbsup:

I take it you can't really oversize the pipes to much. I mean 5" might be a bit excessive but I was thinking about dual 3". that was I can still use the mufflers out of the side pipes.

I take it you can't really oversize the pipes to much. I mean 5" might be a bit excessive but I was thinking about dual 3". that was I can still use the mufflers out of the side pipes.

Not on a diesel, so yeah, run dual 3 inch if you want. Make sure to put a crossover in, help with the brapping.

I would think on a na diesel the same rules as gasser engines would apply ie scavenging. Going to big on a gasser can actually hurt flow.

I would think on a na diesel the same rules as gasser engines would apply ie scavenging. Going to big on a gasser can actually hurt flow.

The rules don't really apply to a diesel, there is no scavenging affect as there is no throttle blade or intake restriction. Get it out is the key here.:thumbsup:

I'd go with flowmaster's. That's what's on my blazer and i love the sound of it. I wouldn't go too big on the exhaust. It may be a diesel, but it's an N/A diesel and it still needs some backpressure. Dual 2 1/2" pipes should work. I love hte sound of the true duals under a load, but it is damn loud with no sound deadening in the blazer. My ears ring. :eek:

i had 2 1/4 true duals no mufflers on my 89 6.2 na... sounded like shot guns going off when i would get on it i loved it... cops did not.. u can keep it some what quite if ur not in it to hard

Back