• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What is Barometric???

Diddy

Reaction score
Barometric is one of the readings my ATS programmer monitors. I have no idea what this is. What is a normal reading? Your suggestions are appreciated.

Diddy

Barometric is one of the readings my ATS programmer monitors. I have no idea what this is. What is a normal reading? Your suggestions are appreciated.

Diddy

Barometric is the barometric pressure reading. ( Atmospheric pressure) It deals with the density of the air i believe. Not sure what a normal reading would be. haven't paid much attention to it.

Barometric is the barometric pressure reading. ( Atmospheric pressure) It deals with the density of the air i believe. Not sure what a normal reading would be. haven't paid much attention to it.

How does it pertain to a diesel engine?

How does it pertain to a diesel engine?
I believe it measures air pressure for the injection system. I also know that they don't last long. I have had two replaced in the last year and a half and my SES light came on again yesterday, and checking the codes points to the baro sensor...that would be 3 times.

JP

I believe it measures air pressure for the injection system. I also know that they don't last long. I have had two replaced in the last year and a half and my SES light came on again yesterday, and checking the codes points to the baro sensor...that would be 3 times.

JP

What causes it to go bad? What preassure are you reading? I am reading 104K.

Diddy

X2
I think it's measured in lbs. Normally the higher the pressure the better for air intake (ingestion). Where I live it's normally between 14-18 lbs. Morning, nights, and cool wheather have more pressure here, I don't know if it's the same elsewhere. I ran my best times in the morning when BP was high.

X2
I think it's measured in lbs. Normally the higher the pressure the better for air intake (ingestion). Where I live it's normally between 14-18 lbs. Morning and nights have more pressure here, I don't know if it's the same elsewhere. I ran my best times in the morning when BP was high.

What is it reading on your truck?

I'm not sure if PPE has those readings, but I'll check. The pressure I gave is from the weather report. :doh:

I'm not sure if PPE has those readings, but I'll check. The pressure I gave is from the weather report. :doh:

Right, I caught that one, lol. I am just wondering, because I have heard that if your MAF gets between 40 to 45 than it should be cleaned. I am wondering what the peramters are for Barometric readings are and what/where is it?

What is it reading on your truck?

I just went out and checked mine. The air temperature is 56* the baroetric pressure reading i got off my monitor was 29.3inHg. It will be greatly affected by tempeature and humidity changes.

The barometric pressure causes the engine to switch between different timing tables.

For example If you lived in the rockies the pressure is different, therefore the engine uses a different timing table.

Normal atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7psi.

the MAF doesnt really relate to the baro, because the MAF measures the amount of air coming in, granted the baro does have an effect on this.

What causes it to go bad? What preassure are you reading? I am reading 104K.

Diddy
I'd like to know the answer to that question myself. I am starting to think GM is just installing junk parts....like from Chine or something. I am a creature of habit so nothing is really changing over the past 6+ years, now all of a sudden 3 sensors go bad.:noidea:

I don't know what pressure I'm reading, does that 104K mean 104,000 or is that a metric term for 104....? How would I read it?
JP

The Barometric sensor is used in the fuel and timing calculations. If your reading in metric terms 100 kPa is sea level and as you go up in altitude the number will drop. 85 kPa is about 7000 ft normal reading. The reading from this sensor along with the reading from the MAF sensor are how the ECM calculates the mass weight of the air the motor is consuming.

The Barometric sensor is used in the fuel and timing calculations. If your reading in metric terms 100 kPa is sea level and as you go up in altitude the number will drop. 85 kPa is about 7000 ft normal reading. The reading from this sensor along with the reading from the MAF sensor are how the ECM calculates the mass weight of the air the motor is consuming.

Good info. Thanks!

Good info, but any idea why I would be going through so many of these sensors lately? 3 in a year, none prior to this.

JP

yea measures the atmospheric air pressure. maybe it is useful if you drive different altitudes alot but other than that i don't know its usefulness

Good info, but any idea why I would be going through so many of these sensors lately? 3 in a year, none prior to this.

JP

Like I said I really doubt they are going bad that fast. My guess would be a faulty connection in one of the wire harness connectors. Each time they unplug and old one and plug in a new that maybe all it needs to move the connection so it works for awhile. Check the connectors over the valve cover and the pin in the plug on the sensor itself.

What is Barometric Pressure ?Barometric pressure (also known as atmospheric pressure) is the force exerted by the atmosphere at a given point. It is known as the "weight of the air". A barometer measures barometric pressure. Measurement of barometric pressure can be expressed in millibars (or in inches or millimeters of mercury (Hg). Normal pressure at sea level is 1013.3 millibars or 29.92 inches of mercury. Fluctuations in barometric pressure are usually a sign of weather conditions. A rise in pressure usually means improving weather while falling pressure may reflect impending inclement weather. Barometric pressures will also vary with altitude and moisture.

It is also referred to in aviation circles as pressure altitude. As stated above the pressure at sea level is 29.92 in of mercury. That is based on a standard day which is 59 deg F at sea level. The altimeter in airplanes have to be set to the current barometric pressure of the field where you are located at that moment to get the correct altitude readings when flying and as the flight progressed the pressure altitude was corrected by info from the airports in the area where you were located.

These factors (temp and barometric press0 affect the pressure of the air in the intake before and after boost. The higher the barometric pressure before boost the higher the press after boost up to the maximum boost capacity.

Temp and humidity all play into the density and pressure of the air going into the engine. This is significant to performance as altitude increases or decreases.

Piston engines in airplanes were greatly affected in performance as altitude increased and it limited the altitude that airplanes could fly at. Turbochargers were invented to boost the pressure and the amount of air going into the engine. boosting power to fly at higher altitudes.

The same thing applies to our trucks as you go to higher altitudes. Unboosted gas engines decreased in power as altitude increased making for a difficult time going thru mountains loaded.

I used to tow my travel trailer into CO with a 350 eng powered 2500 Chev and that sucker really got sick going over the high mountain passes.

Hope this helps.

Back