• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Water On IP?? Whats Wrong??

DIYORPAY

Reaction score
I too have been having hot starting issues. This has been going on now for at least 2 months. It starts perfect when cold, but when i shut it off after everything is up to operating temps, it wont restart. So one day after being stranded for over 1 1/2 hours, I ended up dumping some water on the IP and it fired right up. I have no other issues with the truck.(runs great) I have had to do this at least 15 times in the last few weeks and it starts every time. My IP has less than 20,000 miles on it, its not heat soak on the PMD(remote mount, see sig). So i guess what i was wondering was ...........can this hurt the IP more by continuing to do this? Also, i read somewhere that the transfer pump inside the IP(??????) could do this if the tolerances aren't exactly right and when warm it expands and doesn't pump the fuel the way it should, so it doesnt want to start. Is that possible?? Is my IP shot already? Any suggestions??

Do IP Test. Get truck good and hot. Slowly(this is not easy takes a little practice as these engines are touchy) bring RPMs up to 2000and hold it there for about 30 seconds.Then slowly bring it back down to 1000 RPM. If it can't hold 2000 or when you bring it back down it just drops off IP is going south. Also if sitting at a light idling and it surges may be another symptom. This stuff is fresh in my head so thought I'd post it because I talked to Bill H today about it. Otherwise...welcome to my world. I actually think I have mine licked, I'm more stalled on getting my timing back into spec. I di notice in your sig gutted fuel cap. IIRC there needs to be slight vacuum otherwise fuel can foam and when the engine is hot it may be an air like symptom ? I may be off on that one but know I saw something on it.

I will try the rpm test tommorrow and see what it does. The fuel cap has been gutted for about 2 1/2 years, and i never had these symptoms before. (not to sure about that one) One other question is , would it possibly act like that with air in the fuel? I havn't ran a clear line on it yet to check for bubbles. But i dont know if dumping water on ip (cooling it) would take the bubbles out????? what are your timing issues? Mine is set at -1.94. Do you thing that would have something to do with it? Or do you think my (less than 20,000 mile ) IP is junk?

It could be. That is a sign of a bad one. Something about the tolerances when hot andleaking fuel internally. Try the cheap stuff first as always. Where is the PMD under the truck or next to the manifold ? I think my PMD was my main culprit. your timing sounds on the money. Mine is way off. Don't think it was causing the problem . Just discovered it while trying to diagnose the starting issue. How's the cranking speed when hot ? Try cleaning the ground wires particularly the one on the IP. Don't know if it'll help for sure but won't hurt.

Back