• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Water in Fuel WIF light flickering

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Already did some reading on the old place but thought I'd start it here. Seems mine is coming on and off and flickering. First I tried to run some out of the T valve. I saved that fuel in a clean clear bottle for analysis. Light still doing same thing. A week later fuel stored in bottle looks fine no separation(Oil floats on water). So today I changed the fuel filter which looked fine anyway and completly drained the fuel manager by using a push/pull on the drain line with t valve open. Looked inside everything looked good. New fuel filter , took it for a ride, still doing same thing. Going ot investigate the sensor tommorow. Grounds cleaned very recently while trying to diagnos INjector Pulse width problem. BTW coincidental or maybe not, the alternator took a crap last night. 117$ for a new one from Napa today. Ouch. Whatever happen to the days of a chevy alt being 25$ ?

Is this on the housing that you re-worked for the enlarged fuel outlet?

Yes. It was spotlessly clean before I reinstalled it and i did Feed the Beast about 2 months ago but just to be sure I drained it yesterday and looked inthere with a spotlight. Probe looked fine. No metal shaving etc although the fuel manager I used I bought of someone to use for the job and I still have my factory one so condition of sensor on the one I used is unknown. I'm gonna swap the sensor of my old on it and see what happens but first I was going to just unplug it and see if maybe there is a short in the wiring. I have found acorns under the hood. Mice are rampant around here. They somehow got into the dash of my skid steer and ate the wiring.

That's alright. I could have saved money buying a cheaper one but i bought the lifetime warranty brand new one from NAPA so it's the last one I'll buy.

I hate that darn light! Mine never ever came on then it started flickering. I drained it it was fine. Then a week later it came on and stayed! It has been on for the last 2 years :frown2:

I hate that darn light! Mine never ever came on then it started flickering. I drained it it was fine. Then a week later it came on and stayed! It has been on for the last 2 years :frown2:

3 things:

- Sensor bad
- Wiring bad

- you really DO have water in fuel (for 2 years???)

Hey Kenny - if you got mice, check the wires carefully.. the little buggers like to try nibbling different colours, sort of like a weight-watcher at a buffet. I had a few winter squatters under the hood of my Mustang, and it took me 3 weeks to find all the little nicks and cuts. I kept having all kinds of intermittent issues. Another guy on the old place had his PCM harness nibbled... while everybody was telling him PMD, the dealer was telling him IP, Tim and JD had him tracing grounds and he found the mess the rodents left. A bunch of new wiring later, things ran fine.

Mice are a seriuos problem. They get into everything around here. They ate the registration papers in my dump truck. I'm hoping it's just a sensor. Doubt it's water. Fuel sample has been sitting for almost 2 weeks now with no separation.

Hmm. Aces, I had the WIF light coming on occasionally, just like yours. It appears that the grounds, especially the one from body to frame, were the culprit. Since fixing the grounds - replacing with bit 4 ga wires - see my post at the old place - the WIF has gone away.

Rob :)

Problem solved

One of the wires was chaffed on the harness coming from the Filter manager. Was as simple to fix as getting a piece of electrical tape. Why is it that when you address a problem right away it turns into a nightmare but if you say screw it and ignore it for a month or so then finally say "Let's see what's going on" then it turns out to be nothing and you kick yourself for not fixing it sooner ??:banghead:

Why is it that when you address a problem right away it turns into a nightmare but if you say screw it and ignore it for a month or so then finally say "Let's see what's going on" then it turns out to be nothing and you kick yourself for not fixing it sooner ??:banghead:

Isn't that the way it always works?:eek:

glad you got it fixed...

Back