• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Water & Fuel

Marshrat

Reaction score
Was having trouble with my truck not wanting to shift correctly so I got it to the shop. I told the shop foreman what I was experiencing, thinking it was a transmission problem. After an hour or so of them probing the truck, they found my tank to have about 25% water & trash in the fuel tank.

After this episode I will be more selective of where I buy my fuel. At a cost of $871.53 to drop the tank, clean it, change some module in the tank and flush the fuel lines to the injectors, I am glad to have comprehensive insurance. Just wish I new which station I got the bad fuel from...

Warren

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. I always try to buy from truck stops, etc, while on trips. My hick town doesn't have any big stations so I take what I can get.

around here truck stops have worse fuel than the smaller places.

I can never get a full tank at truck stops, always foams over even with the little nozzle

One good reason to use a FilterMag on your fuel filter. It won't help the water but it will trap the rust and metals in your fuel filter and keep it from getting into the injectors.

Sorry to hear that. At least it was fixed, if you can't trust diesel what can you trust?

You think thats bad....

Christmas night our '06 Sterling Acterra Firetruck stalled on the way to a call. They towed it back to the station and one of the guys from the local diesel shop and a mobile equipment repair technician worked on it till approximately 1:30am to no avail. Finally got the truck towed to the Sterling dealer and repaired to the tune of about $5800. Apparently the fuel tank at the fire station had some bad fuel in it. Destroyed the injection pump, and all the fuel injectors.

All I can say to them is "I told ya so". I told them they needed a better filter system on that old tank when they changed it over to diesel. Whats a few hundred dollars to save a few thousand.....?

Ill top that, this summer my grandpa ran out of fuel with one of our tractors which has an 8.3L 12v cummins.

I added fuel, released the tank vapor and no go, so i tried releasing the vapor again, still no go. Tried new filters, no go. Cracked an injector line, no go. Finally i just broke down and cracked every single line in that damn fuel system and no go.

Took it to the dealer and a few grand later we had a new injector pump and injectors all because we simply ran it out of fuel. So much for P pump cummins' being the end to all

Back