• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Washing Engine

i put some engine oil on a rag and got the plastic, non heated parts with that, and for the metal items, or the ones that get hot, just wipe it with water :wink5:

I cover the ECM and other obvious electronics with a plastic bag, and then spray everything liberally with Simple Green. I them wash it down with a garden hose, and wipe dry.

I tried the engine cleaner at the carwash. My car made it 3 blocks before it died. Water shorted out the Electronic Spark Control Sensor($34) on my 87' Trans am.
Definatley cover the electronics.

I've always popped the hood on my vehicles at the car wash and blasted away. I watch out for the alternator (still hit it but not constant) or cover the cold air intake, but other than that I don't worry about it and have never had a problem. Heck, that's how I used to know I needed a dist. cap or plug wires in my older cars!! Most are scared to do it, but it's not much different than driving down the expressway in the rain. Newer vehicles electronics are pretty insulated these days. Thats how they do it at the dealers and detail shops most of the time.

I'll probably get some naysayers to my response, but I honestly do it nearly every wash on all of the 30 some odd vehicles I've owned and never once had a single issue doing so. When I was a youngster, there were times where I would completely submerge a truck off roading and as long as it got air to breathe, it would stay running. That's with the fan blasting water all over the place.

Simple green works great, but you don't need to do that every time you wash in there. I usually use some of the leftover soapy water and and older sponge to hand wash all the dust off the visible plastic parts in the engine bay.

Back