• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Wanted scrap 6.5 crank/snout

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
In the process of machine a timing gear set. It will make the set up easier if I had a crank snout to use as a line up dowel.
All I need is the front/first journal up to the snout (the part timing sprocket and ballancer sit on.

So anyone have one of those 2 piece cranks laying in the scap pile they can donate? I'll pay shipping.

PS. throw this out also. I need the camshaft retainer plate also. The one held to engine by two bolts under the upper timing sprocket.

If tanner doesn't have one Leroy, and I didn't throw mine out, it's yours.

I have the camshaft thrust plate and bolts. I also have the crank from Gerties 6.5 that I am sure will not clean up with a polish. Was going to scrap it.... let me know if these guys do not have what you need.

Chevypoor, if you want to send the parts then go for it. I'm not even sure how I will get to my engine at the moment. 2 dead trucks in the way of that corner of the shop.

I have the camshaft thrust plate and bolts. I also have the crank from Gerties 6.5 that I am sure will not clean up with a polish. Was going to scrap it.... let me know if these guys do not have what you need.

Wish I would have known I'd need this stuff a couple weeks ago when you sent the oil pan and valve cover, thanks again for that.

On the crank, I just need the front 1/3ish of the crank. Just the snout and first journal if you can cut it. I was thinking at worst case drop it on the concrete and break off a piece. Just dont drop it on its snout. That way I can machine off exactly how much I need.

Will be awesome if you can do that and the cam plate. Let me know. Thanks.

No problem. Happy to help.

I should be able to cut it... I have a porta band, grinder, and if all else fails a small torch. I will try to get it cut in the next couple of days and rustle up the plate and bolts. I am thinking shipping should be the same as last time but I will check and let you know.

Well I called around to a few machine shop in the area and one did have a scraped crank. I went and picked it up today, SO! I won't need the crank, but the cam plate would be good. No hurry, anytime you get to it.

Thanks for the offer on the snout though :thumbsup:

Cool. I will get that plate and bolt packaged up and sent your way shortly. As I stated happy to help. Keeping these finicky dinosaurs running is sometimes challenging, helping somebody design and build new ways to make power or add reliability is a fun. Keep up the good work and I hope that oil pan and valve cover cleaned up ok for you.

The gear set is shaping up nice so far. Its expensive though.
Thanks for the help.

Im almost done with the gear set, just waiting on axles for the idler gears. A whole lot of thought went into the set. The axles are machined and then heat treated and thats expensive to do right. I could "red neck it" and torch them red hot and throw into a bucket of oil, but I would not trust that at all (is it to brittle to soft......).
Thats just one component, all the machine work, labor and cost of material is expensive. I'll have over $1000 in the prototype.
If I were building 250 sets at a time cost would come down.
I am shooting for right below $600ea retail.

Im almost done with the gear set, just waiting on axles for the idler gears. A whole lot of thought went into the set. The axles are machined and then heat treated and thats expensive to do right. I could "red neck it" and torch them red hot and throw into a bucket of oil, but I would not trust that at all (is it to brittle to soft......).
Thats just one component, all the machine work, labor and cost of material is expensive. I'll have over $1000 in the prototype.
If I were building 250 sets at a time cost would come down.
I am shooting for right below $600ea retail.

I know your trying to get them out to the public and to help us for a source but remember Kennedy has them for $400, DSG for a bit more.

Back