• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Want a Duramax, Need guidence

RCpullerdude

Reaction score
Well, in the next year or two I will likely be looking for a Duramax (gasp!). I want to fix up the 6.5 in my sig, and not put miles on it anymore, and keep in in almost showroom condition. So, I'll be needing a new truck to drive around, likely an LB7 or LLY.

My main thing is the injectors. I've read a lot on this issue, and have gotten nothing but conflicting answers. Once replaced, are they good to go? I've read people say so, yet I've read of multiple injector replacements. Will fancy aftermarket injectors fix the problem? I've seen mentions that they will not, yet I cannot fathom how someone would dish out money for aftermarket injectors everytime they go bad. Are '03's-'04's any better? I've seen many mentions of '03 injector replacements, yet very few of '04s.

Thanks for any guidence you can provide me. This is probably the first of many questions, and sorry if they become (or already are) questions that have been answered on the old site. I am, and will continue to, search on the other site, but, when I cannot find it, I will post it here, as this site needs the info also. So, please bear with me. Right now I'm open to 01-05, but that may change a lot in the next 1-2 years.

I have heard of multiple injector replacements on Lb7 s I thik the LLY were a better designed injector, some of them had overheating peoblems which could be fixed. I believe the after market injectors are just stokers that have been remanned and have better nosles
hope this helps a little, I am sure that more people will chime in.

the lb7 injectors suck. i have seen trucks that have gotten multiple sets. they suck. oh yeah the lb7 injectors suck.:D

Thanks for the info. Redneck, about the aftermarket being re-manned OEM, I was able to find that last night after I posted this. My openess is really starting to close down to 04.5-05. I really like the 01-02 body, but don't want to end up changing injectors at who knows how many miles. Problem with the LLY is it didn't come in the 01-02 body (not that there's anything wrong with the 03-07 Classic, just the 01-02 is a little classier), and it has a VVT that I'd have too much fun playing with (I want EFI Live), and wouldn't be able to bring myself around to tearing out to put a wastegated one in.

Well I haven't had an Lb7 but I've had an LLY and now an LBZ. Gotta tell you that an LBZ would put a real big smile on your face... All the bugs were worked out when they got to the LBZ and it's pre-DPF.
I hear ya on the '01-'02 Chev front end though...

If you're looking a year or two out then I think you should strongly consider an LBZ. The fact that it is the 3rd generation Duramax with 5 years worth of upgrades gone into improving it + the 6th gear in the Allison make it an excellent combination.

With no end to the rise in fuel cost in sight, I have a feeling there will be a ton of LBZs (and the others) for sale by those folks that bought it because it was cool to have. We all have to admit diesel pickups (particularly the short bed ones) shifted from an almost exclusive working (Agriculture, Service/Utility, RVing, Hauling, other practical uses) class to a hot rod grocery getter that once-in-a-while pulls a single jet ski, maybe two.

EDIT: Just an FYI: I'm not bitching about what people use their trucks for, it's their truck. I, for one, like to see as many Duramaxes on the road that I do. Nor am I knocking short beds, truth of the matter is they're easier to maneuver in the city.

Last edited:
Well, I don't need a Diesel truck, but it's kind of nice to have something I can service myself, since I'm lost in a gasser. I also want to start pulling.

LBZ and LMM are out of the question right now. Want something with EFI/DSP5.

I have found something on the old site though, there's different forums for performance! New learning curve I guess. Being in the 6.5 forum,under a rock for the past year, not even looking at the Duramax forums, I got used to everything engine related in one place. I've now found aftermarket VVT's, awesome. (You're probably all thinking I live a very sheltered life right now).

I figure in the next year or two, diesels will be dirt cheap, be it LB7, LLY, LBZ, and maybe a couple LMM's. There's already 04 LLY's out there for $15K with less than 200K miles.

Thanks again fer the advice. Sadly, I think it's about time to move up one forum.

Well, I don't need a Diesel truck, but it's kind of nice to have something I can service myself, since I'm lost in a gasser. I also want to start pulling.

LBZ and LMM are out of the question right now. Want something with EFI/DSP5.

I have found something on the old site though, there's different forums for performance! New learning curve I guess. Being in the 6.5 forum,under a rock for the past year, not even looking at the Duramax forums, I got used to everything engine related in one place. I've now found aftermarket VVT's, awesome. (You're probably all thinking I live a very sheltered life right now).

I figure in the next year or two, diesels will be dirt cheap, be it LB7, LLY, LBZ, and maybe a couple LMM's. There's already 04 LLY's out there for $15K with less than 200K miles.

Thanks again fer the advice. Sadly, I think it's about time to move up one forum.

01-02 LB7 issues: head gasket failure due to lack of coolant maintance and design. Injectors were prematurly known to fail in several ways also do to design flaw and also poor fuel filtration(water, debris).

03-04.5 LB7 issues: injectors. In the LB7's defense there are a LOT of trucks 01-04.5 that do not have these issues. The injectors have been redesigned by bosch multiple times and are a lot better than before.

LLY's have a poorly designed airflow into the motor causing the overheat condition. Considering the fact it is the same cooling system as on a LB7 it is not a cooling system issue completly. Removing these restrictions will greatly enhance a LLY's cooling capability along with power and economy.

ALL HD trucks are plagued with premature intermediate shaft wear, idler/pitman arm wear and on 4x4 models transfer case pump rub(a hole)

With care and maintance any of these trucks will be great. In my opinion though I would either look for a LBZ in 2 years or find a 01-02 LB7. If you like the body style of the 01-02 I would get it, my mother has an 01 with over 235k on the odo and the head gasket just went, its pulled its entire life and never missed a beat. My 03 has 120k almost and I havent had any issues. Just remember every truck is different.

jcool said:
With care and maintance any of these trucks will be great. In my opinion though I would either look for a LBZ in 2 years or find a 01-02 LB7...

I agree with jcool 100%.

I actually am waiting for a former employee of mine to get tired of her '02 Chevy so I can buy it off her.

agreed. if i were to buy a newer truck i would definately go after the LBZ. don't get me wrong though i love my LB7 and as of now i couldn't imagine wanting anything else.

01-02 LB7 issues: head gasket failure due to lack of coolant maintance and design. Injectors were prematurly known to fail in several ways also do to design flaw and also poor fuel filtration(water, debris).
Lack of coolant maintenance and design?? I always thought it was improperly designed thermostat and low idle speed over heating coolant in the heads, then when you got out and went, cooler coolant rushed through them and they warped.

I agree that they're all good with proper maintenance, just look at the 6.2/6.5, properly maintained, they'll last forever, improperly maintained, they'll last about as long as a PowerStroke fan on a Chevy forum. I also would love an LBZ, but, I want something DSP2/5 capable. If EFI comes out with something for the LBZ by then, maybe I'll look into them, but until then, 05 is the newest I'd look at.

Thanks fer all the pointers and info.

I definitely would not get hung up on switchable tunes as part of the truck selection criteria. I was worried when I went from my 6 position Edge to EFI that I was going to really miss the ability to "switch on the fly."

Turns out, it's not really a big deal. I am running Nick's (duramaxtuner) tuning right now and have tweaked them slightly as I start to figure out the whole EFI deal. I have been running the "race" tune (>500 rwhp) as my daily driver for over 6 weeks and I just use my right foot as the "switch." It is totally driveable, has no less economy than anything else I have ever run and just requires that I remember that, when it is raining out, the roads are slippery :lol:

Since I cannot drag or sled pull with that tune until I fix my fuel issues, I just put in the "Tow Tune" for those things - takes about 45 seconds....

Remember too, the LBZ gets you a 6 speed, I think that was a pretty major upgrade between the Lillys and the LBZs...

IMHO, YMMV, YYY, etc., etc....

Last edited:
Well, thanks for the pointers. We're looking at an 02 right now. Prolly won't get it, but we're looking at it.

Back