• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vortec 6.0 ? Anybody have one before?

Sounds good. Im lookin at gettin a hypertech for it at the moment. Tryin to do everything i can to improve, only problem is $$$.

Sounds good. Im lookin at gettin a hypertech for it at the moment. Tryin to do everything i can to improve, only problem is $$$.

The Hypertech I used on my 8.1 didn't do nothing for me. Maybe try saving up a little bit and go all out with a custom tune or buy EFI in the future.

Just posting my experience...:)

Well if my big bro Deeretracks was a little nicer he could just buy the whole thing, and have it programmed for both trucks...

How would a guy go about gettin rid of torque managment? and wats it gonna do?

The torque managment was the worst idea GM ever came up with. It limits power to preserve hard components. Meaning you can floor it and the computer backs off so you don't break anything. You get rid of it and you floor it, that biznitch will move like a raped ape. HP tuners is what I like for the GM stuff, but I am pretty sure EFI Live is able to do it too.

I know a shop that can bench top tune your ECM with the HP tuners all you have to do is overnight it to them and he'll overnite it back...

Sounds like somethin i should definitely look into. I hate that it shuts down at 98mph also. It could use a little more power for those burnouts it likes to do too.

If I didn't have my Diesel I'd want the 6.0. They are stout motors. Only issue I've seen with them is they like to break bolts on the exhaust manifolds and the ticking leak will drive you nuts.

Be careful with the TQ Management. Don't go too far. I know a few guys (mostly with F-bodies) who blew transmissions very quickly because they didn't leave some TQ Management in.

My truck before the Dmax was a '02 GMC 2500HD. The piston slap in those motors made it sound like a diesel. Consistently got 12-13mpg empty and about 8 towing any weight. Personally, I think the motor would last a long time, but I would never buy one again unless it was in the NBS....

Just picked up an 06 Chevy 6.0.

New thread to follow with details. Thanks for all your opinions guys!

Put on a load and that 6.0 really slacks off..

To anybody who is looking to pull over 9 or 10K, I suggest a 8.1 or Diesel..

Vortec 6.0

I love my vortec, great engine....perfect for plowing...just ordered a kn air intake and exhaust/chip/plugs/plug wires in the very near future. Everyone at the performance shops around here speaks of how much potential the engine has so if i get the claimed 20hp out of the intake and can feel it when the pedal is at the floor the other stuff will be ordered.

I've had three trucks with 6.0s and I love them. I beat the crap out of them and they never let me down. I buy them wrecked and usually trashed. My last crew cab 4x4 cost me 1100 and it had 80K on it, three gand and it was cherry. I'll get a max when I find one that isn't crazy money, but I love my 6.0s.

If I didn't have my Diesel I'd want the 6.0. They are stout motors. Only issue I've seen with them is they like to break bolts on the exhaust manifolds and the ticking leak will drive you nuts.

Ya, it does drive you nuts! That's the only problem I have found yet and I have 235,000 kms.

I love my 6.0, they are great engines that don't get much respect.

Had an '01, traded it in for the '05 dmax. While I had it I saw 11.5-12 mpg, zero mechanical issues, and a whole lot questions to the service manager about the whole "why would they design an engine with piston slap."

I understand that there are an awful lot of these engines on the road, and the principal of reducing rotating mass to improve power. Call me silly, I just didn't feel that the longevity of the engine was preserved with shortening the piston skirts, allowing them to slap the cylinder until they properly warmed up. They engineers could have approached this differently.

Back