• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

V2 - Happy I spent the cash.

Mods, can we move the KB discussion out of this thread and into it's own? I would like to respond to KB's thoughts, but it really isn't fair to the OP.

231 is always much better than siting on the side of the road, no doubt. I guess I'm just at the point where any fan enguagement starts to bug me, because I know now it's up to the 'rescue team' to save the truck from boilover and the wife wakes up from her nap. :hand: It almost seems like a quest to completly shut down the fan clutch under any situation and one day I/we may get there completely. :thumbsup:

The fan on the V2 is mearly an option. It's not on the main radiator, it's on the V2 rad. If you want to completly eliminate the clutch fan, then you need the Fan Damn, which is just like the Flex-A-Lite system, but it has it's towing limitations because it can't pull as much air as the OE fan. The V2 still performs the same without it's own fan, it's just real nice to have when pulling under slow speed conditions when ramair is not available. With all the electrical do dads everyone adds to their vehicles, I can't see how (I think) 14amps is much of a deal. The fan is only going to be on while driving and ECTs are over ~205*, it shuts down around 196*. The rpm's will always be up, giving the alternator plenty of spin to do it's job. The I've never seen my V2 fan come on while sitting at idle or getting anywhere near idle. Now I manually turn on mine when sitting still to evac underhood heat that builds up while towing and stopping. It helps keep the stupid fan clutch from enguaging at take off. I've almost got it down to a science now in keeping the fan clutch from ever making noise. I'm not worried about electrical load in another way either because I have the second alternator on my truck and I can't make my guage go under 14v with everything on my truck on, including 600watts of lights and the V2 fan on, at idle.

No matter what there is always improvments for everything. :coolgleamA:

honestly i have not had this happen to me, i dont tow a big enough trailer to, but in comparing the things changed on the 06 model and the 05 model i think there isnt one clear cut solution. but a few. tx and kb are right on in there mods, kb being an inprovement mad by gm on later models and tx having the same principal in designing added cooling capacity. both these were addressed by gm in the lly/lbz engine and truck platform. the radiator is bigger, the mouth piece is much more effective along with the cac plumbing. you both have solutions to the issue at hand. i have since installed the mouth piece and intake from the lbz and havent noticed any change in temps but i did notice more air flow. nice bonus i guess.

The bad part is, even with all the mods the LBZ has, it can still be overheated. Just ask blksmok.

Not exactly true... I'd love to jump in to this as soon as we break it off into it's own thread.

My apologies to the OP. I'm glad you are happy, as is every other V2 owner I know, with your V2 purchase. :thumbsup:

I'm sure many of us don't want to hash out the OH thing again. I did simply want to ask KB some questions in as non-confrontational manner as possible. I figured this is about as nutral of a forum as possible on both ends of the spectrum. I'm glad he's asnswered some of my direct question and all has been civil.

I think there are enough products or DIYs to combat whatever range of temp problem a particular person may be having. I will always defend the V2 because I know exactly what it can do, but I am open minded enough to know there are other avenues out there. I'm waiting for some more 'real life' testmonials on the air inducton/mouthpiece before I call it good. I don't trust magazines because they are like political reporters, anything can be spun in whatever direction they see fit. On this, it's those on the road pulling heavy that count in my book and some true dataloging/dyno numbers would be nice along the way too. :smile5:

Not exactly true... I'd love to jump in to this as soon as we break it off into it's own thread.

My apologies to the OP. I'm glad you are happy, as is every other V2 owner I know, with your V2 purchase. :thumbsup:

Feel free to start afresh with a new thread, Dave.

And THANKS for being civil and professional. :)

Bud

Back