• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unknown noise problem..help please

DmaxHawk

YOU BOYS LIKE MEX-I-CO?!?!
Reaction score
Alright it started this afternoon, I went to check a bridge we are building. When I got there I put it in park and let it cool down a bit. I noticed a slight unusual vibration on the driverside but wrote it off to the tractor working there. when I got back into the truck I noticed it again, I stopped and let it idle while I stepped outside. it kinda sounded like the exhaust manifold had a leak or something similar. on the way home everything was normal, boost egt, temps, no white smoke, everything checked out. it goes away when I give it a bit of throttle. it only is noticeable when it idles. I got it up on my lift and it seems like its coming from the torque converter. It sounds like its coming right from the bell housing. ???. oil levels are normal. It still pulls hard and the tc locks like normal ill try to get a video or audio clip to you guys soon. The best sounds I can compare it to is an impact wrench only a bit quieter.. in park the speedo jumps, sometimes up and down up to 10mph. im currently at the shop typing this on my phone and can't search so sorry if this is a repost. any help would be appreciated. thanks

does it sound like its coming from the ats t/c.i think ive read a thread about the ats t/c making noise like that over at the d place.you might check the exhaust pipes also,i kno mine vibrates on my upper control arm when its colder out.on edit my exhaust is set up a lil different than yours tho

Could it be the exhaust coming into contact with something, perhaps the transmission bracket?

Dont think it is. Ill check the exhaust though. but i doubt it would make a sound as loud as this.

does it sound like its coming from the ats t/c.i think ive read a thread about the ats t/c making noise like that over at the d place.you might check the exhaust pipes also,i kno mine vibrates on my upper control arm when its colder out.on edit my exhaust is set up a lil different than yours tho

Yes it does sounds like its coming from the t/c right from the bell housing. What did they say it was?

Dont think it is. Ill check the exhaust though. but i doubt it would make a sound as loud as this.

Yes it does sounds like its coming from the t/c right from the bell housing. What did they say it was?

not for sure what exactly it was,but il see if i can find the thread.."ats torque converter noise" is the thread

Your sig says you have had the tranny worked on and you stated you have a lift. I would put it back in the air and check the torque convertor bolts and the bellhousing bolts. Sometimes they will loosen over time if not locktited. Loose bolts will cause vibration and odd noises.

Final updates. Was the flexplate/flexplate bolts. Some just snapped right off, had one rattling around on the bottom of the bell housing. Stripped most of the bolts which also stripped the thread on the converter. So I ended up getting a new converter and billet flexplate from ATS and now shes alive again! Thanks for all the help guys!

:thumbsup:, glad you got it fixed. The description sounded familiar as i have had that happen in the past with gassers after replacing the engine or tranny.

Back