• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ugh... Service Brake System?

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
I drove the truck to town this morning, to run errands, and when I started it up, the door "dinger" started dinging rapidly, and "Service Brake System" came up on the DIC. I cleared it with the odometer stalk (no steering wheel buttons) and the ABS and Parking Brake lights remained on. I drove home and haven't driven it since. Could it be a bad sensor in one of the hubs? That's the only thing I can think of. The brakes work the same as ever, nothing's changed. I don't want to take it to the dealer for a Tech II just to discover it's a hub. Any Ideas?

You can test the front sensors by disconnecting the weather pack coupling and spinning the wheel, it should generate something like 300ohms, no signal equals an out of adjustment (needs cleaning) or a faulty sensor. I dont know how to check the one in the T-case. Every one that I have fixed has had the low speed activation only, never a fault light on the dash.
My 99 had a bad ECU on the ABS and activated both lights and the pump came on full time, they fixed the newer models so the pump wouldnt run when the unit faulted.
I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and have it scanned.

Went out and looked at it. Neither bearing has play, and the passenger side has voltage when spun.

If its the ECU for the ABS they can be repaired. I found a guy on E-bay that will fix it after you remove it and mail it to him. Only problem is you cant drive the truck while its removed, you cant get any dirt or moisture in the part thats still on the truck. You may be able to find a new one but last I checked they wanted to sell you the entire unit, pump and all, which means you would have to remove it and bleed the entire system.

If its the ECU for the ABS they can be repaired. I found a guy on E-bay that will fix it after you remove it and mail it to him. Only problem is you cant drive the truck while its removed, you cant get any dirt or moisture in the part thats still on the truck. You may be able to find a new one but last I checked they wanted to sell you the entire unit, pump and all, which means you would have to remove it and bleed the entire system.
I suppose there's no warranty on that either, after 55k?

Back