• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trying a B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

SlowBoat

Reaction score
I've been using a B&W Turnover ball hitch for gooseneck pulling for a while. I like it. I added some additional mounting bolts in the frame mount to fill some available holes that were there. This pulled the mount snug along the frame rails. The bed was off due to damage from an undocumented, unlicensed or insured visitor. That made things quite a bit simpler at the time.

I've had an old king pin trailer that I've been wanting to upgrade and put to use, so I needed a way to hook to it. I had the B&W Turnover ball hitch, so it made since to go with one of their models for the fifth wheel hookup. Since I'm in the process of designing a hauler bed I decided to go with the flatbed model of the Companion Hitch which mounts in the Turnover ball hitch unit. I LIKE it! 2 axis tilt.

I'm going to have to make some changes to my bed design for some clearance issues and some changes to the front of the trailer for cab clearance, but it sure cheaper than buying another tandem dual trailer. I mounted it and moved the trailer across the pasture to check it out. The pads on the base of the Companion are designed to sit on the actual flatbed for stability. This unit has a lower pin height than others, which I needed with my trailer..

Pics for your viewing. First, the base turnover ball hitch. Which they instruct you to use the mounting holes at the front and rear of the frame plates. I added additional bolts in two of the center holes that are provided.
1997 GMC B&W 001_sml.jpg 1997 GMC B&W 003_sml.jpg 1997 GMC B&W 002_sml.jpg

And now the Companion Hitch.
B&W Companion Hitch 001_sml.jpg B&W Companion Hitch 002_sml.jpg B&W Companion Hitch 003_sml.jpg B&W Companion Hitch 004_sml.jpg B&W Companion Hitch 005_sml.jpg

I have that set up on my Truck! It works like it should. Only issue is the weight when I remove it.

Back