• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transfer Case Fluid Discussion

83GMCK2500

Reaction score
I'm going to peel a few things out of the archives of DP for reference here since this has been brought up lately. Credit goes to all original posters for the information.

Mike L. said:
Read a report written by Rockland Standard Gear about our transfercases. They feel that they are not lubricated properly with ATF and are finding that Dex 3 is actually vaporizing because of the massive heat that these cases generate. According to what they have seen; fluid is disappearing without leaks and they are finding a lot of gear damage because of lack of lubrication. Their recommendation is to switch to 5-30 engine oil filling it at the drain plug, then pulling the speed sensor at the top and pouring another quart which will overfill it. They feel that this is necessary to keep these things alive. I will try and scan this tomorrow and post the whole article. I talked to Transfercase Express up in Oakland CA and they have told me the same thing about a month ago. I think there is merit to this.

Later on in the thread that post was taken from Mike shared the article from Transmission Digest. I dug around on the internet and found a copy of the issue, I am attaching the article to this thread.

I read the article, I respected the research and experience behind it...I have Amsoil 5W-30 in my transfer case, overfilled by ~0.75 qts through the speed sensor hole.

Attachments

• Page 1.jpg
    Page 1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Page 2.jpg
    Page 2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Page 3.jpg
    Page 3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 13
Back