• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trans swap help

bryanwhitmarsh37

Reaction score
I have a 1996 chevy k1500 suburban with no reverse can i swap a 4l80e from a 2005 yukon xl denali dont know if anything different for the bolt up from the year difference and that its from a 6.0 and trying to bolt it to a 5.7

Hello and welcome to TTS.. I'm not a tranny guy but I'm sure one of these guys will know your answer..I'll tag a couple of our senior wrench aholics...
@WarWagon @ak diesel driver @Will L. If one of them don't know, they will know one of the guys that does
My first thought is that you will have electrical issues.. as the computers are different I believe.. going from diesel to a gasser I don't think will matter because I put a tranny from a 5.7 in my truck which has a 6.5 without any issues.
But I'll let one of the guys with more experience advise you on the rest

Hello and welcome to TTS.. I'm not a tranny guy but I'm sure one of these guys will know your answer..I'll tag a couple of our senior wrench aholics...
@WarWagon @ak diesel driver @Will L. If one of them don't know, they will know one of the guys that does
My first thought is that you will have electrical issues.. as the computers are different I believe.. going from diesel to a gasser I don't think will matter because I put a tranny from a 5.7 in my truck which has a 6.5 without any issues.
Both motors are gas

If that's all id have to worry about that would be awesome trying to avoid a massive bill for a new trans cause the suburban only has 165k miles on it and didnt want to drop the trans from the denali to try to put in the suburban and it not match up

The earlier tyranny lines both came out near the front and the later ones had one front and one rear. The other line issue IIRC is the newer ones like the 2005 have larger lines. The earliest ones had 5/16 lines then went to 3/8 and finally 1/2 inch. Can be adapted but obviously more work.

The stall RPM in the converter can be different as the 6.0L is a REV happy engine. They changed controls and other things in the 4L80E several times over the years. Other heartburn: Incompatible with ECM valve body solenoids, different plugs, different shift cable connections including sensor location for PRNDL on trans or not...

How many miles on the used trans you want to put in? 50-100K or more IMO why bother? Last 4L80E I had rebuilt was $1100 and they did the R&R. Inflation I am sure that a little more expensive now. If you near Phoenix, AZ it was Allstate Transmission. Otherwise price out a rebuild that includes the torque converter being rebuilt.

I live in nc and work on a tight budget and do everything myself i as hoping i could just swap them over so the suburban is back up and running again and save to have the one im pulling out rebuilt cause the only issue is i don't have reverse and rebuild kit is around 300 and have been tempted to try and do it myself but i can't be without a ride to work

The stall RPM in the converter can be different as the 6.0L is a REV happy engine. They changed controls and other things in the 4L80E several times over the years. Other heartburn: Incompatible with ECM valve body solenoids, different plugs, different shift cable connections including sensor location for PRNDL on trans or not...

How many miles on the used trans you want to put in? 50-100K or more IMO why bother? Last 4L80E I had rebuilt was $1100 and they did the R&R. Inflation I am sure that a little more expensive now. If you near Phoenix, AZ it was Allstate Transmission. Otherwise price out a rebuild that includes the torque converter being rebuilt.
Also thank you very much for the help so far

I was very happy to read that you aren't a tranny guy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that

Back