• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trans fluid questions - Ally and 4L80/5E

Heartbeat Hauler

A(ACLU) Agent Yoda
Reaction score
Well, I didn't wanna hi-jack someone elses thread so here goes;
I read this post in another thread:
Absolutely. Yes it is. You will not be able to get Dex III anymore, GM is no longer licensing it.
If Dex III is gone what is GM putting in the above mentioned trannys? My wife's 04 2500 Suburban 4x4 just had a trans service and the tech said it was not a good idea to switch to Dex VI (60K miles - third trans service) what did they put in it?.

I will be doing a trans service on my '01 dually when I hit 60K (54K now). This will be it's third service. If I don't go to trans syn, what will GM put in my tranny? Also, with this many miles 60K, is it worth to put a TransGo shift kit in, or just wait until it dies?

JP

Dex VI or something? I think its 8 bucks of quart.. over heard some fellas talking about it...

Well, I didn't wanna hi-jack someone elses thread so here goes;
I read this post in another thread:

If Dex III is gone what is GM putting in the above mentioned trannys? My wife's 04 2500 Suburban 4x4 just had a trans service and the tech said it was not a good idea to switch to Dex VI (60K miles - third trans service) what did they put in it?.

I will be doing a trans service on my '01 dually when I hit 60K (54K now). This will be it's third service. If I don't go to trans syn, what will GM put in my tranny? Also, with this many miles 60K, is it worth to put a TransGo shift kit in, or just wait until it dies?

JP

I'm not a trans expert, I can't speak intelligently about the Transgo issue. GM will use Dex VI to the best of my knowledge.

I'm not a trans expert, I can't speak intelligently about the Transgo issue. GM will use Dex VI to the best of my knowledge.
I was hoping you would chime in. I just had my wife's Burb in and asked about changing the trans fluid (4l80e) to Dex VI, the tech said it was not a good idea? He said it may have some adverse effects on the trans, i.e. particles being knocked loose and plugging up fluid passages, etc. etc.

Now my truck will be due soon for the trans service, Allison 5-speed, what are they gonna put in my trans?

BTW, thanks all for the responses.
JP

I was hoping you would chime in. I just had my wife's Burb in and asked about changing the trans fluid (4l80e) to Dex VI, the tech said it was not a good idea? He said it may have some adverse effects on the trans, i.e. particles being knocked loose and plugging up fluid passages, etc. etc.

Now my truck will be due soon for the trans service, Allison 5-speed, what are they gonna put in my trans?

BTW, thanks all for the responses.
JP

If your wife's Burb is high mileage with little or no maintenance, that might be true. The issue there is a buildup of dirt/crap/junk and with new fluid, it can release some of the junk. That's one of the +'s of flushing, it mechanically pushes a lot of that stuff out. If the miles aren't nuts, and you've kept up on trans maint, give it a flush, it'll be fine.

They are going to use DEX VI, servicing the Ally is extremely easy, you could do it yourself, get better fluid, and save a ton of money. PM me if you like.

Ashton

If your wife's Burb is high mileage with little or no maintenance, that might be true. The issue there is a buildup of dirt/crap/junk and with new fluid, it can release some of the junk. That's one of the +'s of flushing, it mechanically pushes a lot of that stuff out. If the miles aren't nuts, and you've kept up on trans maint, give it a flush, it'll be fine.

They are going to use DEX VI, servicing the Ally is extremely easy, you could do it yourself, get better fluid, and save a ton of money. PM me if you like.

Ashton
Thanks. I'm at 54K miles on the truck, when I hit 60K I'll give you a pm on the better fluid. I do have an Allison dealer here in Evansville, so Transyn is available to me...but, money is money and savin' some is the name of the game.

JP

Back