• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tranny trouble

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
Yesterday, a buddy told me he is experiencing trouble with his tranny.

Being on a 1995 K1500 Silverado, I believe the tranny is a 4L80E.

Problem is:

his wifey was cruising in D. Slowing to engage on another road at a cross, she realised the tranny looks like the TCC stays locked.
She continued slowing down and then heard a strong noise, whilst the TCC disengaged.

Now, the trans works fine, shifts up and down perfect if you select position 3. If you put on D, he says the truck is sluggish. He can't tell me if this is because the converter is slippering, or if it is like the TCC immediately lock in higher speed.

Any thought?

Most auto trannys with lock-up have a fail-safe that will unlock the converter at around 5 mph if for any reason the electronics don't unlock it. A sticking TCC solenoid could do that. A scan tool should tell if the ecm is commanding TCC.
This place sells high quality kits with all the internal electronics for around $150 http://www.electricaladvantage.net/4l80esolenoidmasterkitwinternalharness.aspx
This is a thread I did on the install of one of the kits:http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?29925-Installing-A-Electrical-Kit-In-A-4L80E

Grounds? Thats all I really am allowed to speculate on. Newbie here but to me sounds like mine when the ground strap came loose and it was a slow struggling dog.

The ECM compares the engine rpm with the input rpm and output rpm. Any mismatch in speeds indicates a slip somewhere. The TCC solenoid is a common failure.
When I put the complete kit in my tranny , all I really needed was the 1-2 shift solenoid. At over $50 for fluid alone, I didn't want to have to dump out all the fluid again to replace another component. My main wiring connector was weeping badly also. Everything in there is 16 years old and run in pretty hot conditions.
Check for filings built up on the input speed sensor and output speed sensor. They are magnetic and attract metal filings. Doesn't cost any thing but time. Only takes a couple minutes to clean both.

Back